Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one

That loves the old quilts? I just can't get into these new patterns. I like basic, old fashioned, scrap quilts like my granny made. I love the four patch and the Grandmother's Flower garden and the like. I can't get into the landscape quilts or the portrait quilts or even the Bargello's though I have to admit, I've seen some really gorgeous ones.
    Also, I love bright colors, mostly reds, yellows and blues, and small print, like Calicoes, not huge florals.
    So, am I just an old soul,or are there others like me?

You are not alone in that thought. I love the older patterns and the calicos but I also love much of the newer stuff. Just depends on my mood.:)

Blog Entries
    I love old and new patterns. I just love quilts.

I'm like you, I lean toward the more traditional quilts. The others are pretty, I'll give you that, but just not for me.

I really appreciate the new very artsy quilts; I admire the talent & patience it take to do them. However, I prefer the old piece/pattern tops - even if it's done with the new funky-pattern materials.

I keep saying it - I like knowing my quilt will be used & not stuffed in a box somewhere. (not knocking anyone's work)

I love the older stuff too, almost exclusively. If I want a day of relaxation, I go for a good old-fashioned four patch, or even just a plain charm quilt, and I'm quite young.

I also like the scrappy, traditional quilts. I look at the landscape and portrait quilts and admire them and respect the amount of time that the quilter has spent to make such a masterpiece. Everyone has different likes. I did one applique and will probably never do another one. I've always done patchwork and after the applique I knew patchwork was what I wanted to do. One reason I love quilting is that it is my quilt and I can do what I want with it.

Part of me is like you but I also like other styles. I just like quilts. Enjoy what you like. Please post some pictures.

I never met a quilt I didn't like!

Quote Originally Posted by ruck9085
    That loves the old quilts? I just can't get into these new patterns. I like basic, old fashioned, scrap quilts like my granny made. I love the four patch and the Grandmother's Flower garden and the like. I can't get into the landscape quilts or the portrait quilts or even the Bargello's though I have to admit, I've seen some really gorgeous ones.
    Also, I love bright colors, mostly reds, yellows and blues, and small print, like Calicoes, not huge florals.
    So, am I just an old soul,or are there others like me?
    I tend to like the older patterns too. Landscapes and portraits are pretty to look at, but I don't make them. You're not the only one. Believe me!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like to make older style quilts, but I like to look at all the cool modern stuff.

It's like shoes. I like to wear SAS old lady shoes, but I like to look at Manolo's!

Blog Entries
    You are not alone at all. I prefer the old quilts myself. They are so comforting. Everyone has their own taste. I think my favorite is the Log Cabin. But the simple 4/9 patch is also right up there also.

No, you're not an old soul. I love them also but do enjoy doing some of the newer styles but simple ones. I admire all the fabulous quilts everyone makes and am just happy there is something for everyone to enjoy and love making.

Blog Entries
    I like old and new patterns for different reasons.I'll try the more modern patterns just to say I did it but the old fashioned patterns are the ones I like best. Scrap quilts are my favorites to make.

Blog Entries
    I love them all, The patterns they can change. Even in some new blocks you can see the traditional block that inspired it.
    I don't like the new age quilting. The actual sewing of the layers. I think your quilting should accent the top, it should make the blocks stand out, it should add to the top.
    I don't like seeing machine quilted pieces and there is so much random stiching that you can't "see" the top or piecing.
    I just can't get behind the new thing of having the top and the stiching being two seperate characters not even playing in the same movie.

rb.
    I'm very much the opposite. I like the new patterns, and the new twists on old patterns. I also prefer the newer trend of bold colour, as opposed to the softer colours of years past.

RDM
    Blog Entries
    I appreciate the traditional quilts and have done quilts using cival war reproduction fabrics but mostly tend to do colorful quilts. I like it all including the art-quilts, depends upon what I want to work on, my mood, who the quilts for, etc. I started quilting because I liked the artsy stuff I saw in bright colors. So glad we are not all alike and appreciate that everyone brings something different to see on this board. It's all good.

For the most part I prefer the traditional patterns but usually with more contemporary fabrics. I am getting more fond of some of the more contemporary paper pieced patterns with equally contemporary fabrics. And, like others here, I can certainly appreciate a landscape and/or art quilt, they are not my personal favorites.

I never seem to tire of traditional patterns and colors, love reproduction fabrics. I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel. That said,I do like to put pops of unexpected color and patterns. It seems to add some vibrancy.

I too love the more traditional patterns and fabrics but do appreciate the more modern looking ones at the same time although I have never made one. I just find the older patterns and the "older" reproduction fabrics more comfortable but then my house is done in more traditional antiques so that is just my personal preference. i do enjoy looking at all the quilts on here and find them all beautiful. Glad everyone can feel free to do their own thing and there is no right or wrong when it comes to quilting.

I, too, am a traditionalist quilter at heart.

you are not alone, I also enjoy the oldies.

Blog Entries
    I like the traditional, scrappy. I see a lot of beautiful quilts & say so, but I doubt I would make any of them.
    I do love to look & dream. :-)

I like them all, from the civil war era to the most modern prints and patterns. I think variety IS the spice of life and if I had enough of them, I would change my quilt on my bed every month or so to something totally different. Love Whole cloth quilts too, seeing such intricate patterns on the fabric is an eye feast.

I think there is a place for all styles. Keep up with what you enjoy doing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast