Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I the only one >
  • Am I the only one

• Am I the only one

Old 04-11-2011, 07:19 AM

I like to make older style quilts, but I like to look at all the cool modern stuff.

It's like shoes. I like to wear SAS old lady shoes, but I like to look at Manolo's!
    Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 AM

You are not alone at all. I prefer the old quilts myself. They are so comforting. Everyone has their own taste. I think my favorite is the Log Cabin. But the simple 4/9 patch is also right up there also.
    Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 AM

No, you're not an old soul. I love them also but do enjoy doing some of the newer styles but simple ones. I admire all the fabulous quilts everyone makes and am just happy there is something for everyone to enjoy and love making.
    Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 AM

I like old and new patterns for different reasons.I'll try the more modern patterns just to say I did it but the old fashioned patterns are the ones I like best. Scrap quilts are my favorites to make.
    Old 04-11-2011, 07:42 AM

I love them all, The patterns they can change. Even in some new blocks you can see the traditional block that inspired it.
    I don't like the new age quilting. The actual sewing of the layers. I think your quilting should accent the top, it should make the blocks stand out, it should add to the top.
    I don't like seeing machine quilted pieces and there is so much random stiching that you can't "see" the top or piecing.
    I just can't get behind the new thing of having the top and the stiching being two seperate characters not even playing in the same movie.
    Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 AM
    rb.

I'm very much the opposite. I like the new patterns, and the new twists on old patterns. I also prefer the newer trend of bold colour, as opposed to the softer colours of years past.
    Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 AM
    RDM

I appreciate the traditional quilts and have done quilts using cival war reproduction fabrics but mostly tend to do colorful quilts. I like it all including the art-quilts, depends upon what I want to work on, my mood, who the quilts for, etc. I started quilting because I liked the artsy stuff I saw in bright colors. So glad we are not all alike and appreciate that everyone brings something different to see on this board. It's all good.
    Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 AM

For the most part I prefer the traditional patterns but usually with more contemporary fabrics. I am getting more fond of some of the more contemporary paper pieced patterns with equally contemporary fabrics. And, like others here, I can certainly appreciate a landscape and/or art quilt, they are not my personal favorites.
    Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 AM

I never seem to tire of traditional patterns and colors, love reproduction fabrics. I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel. That said,I do like to put pops of unexpected color and patterns. It seems to add some vibrancy.
    Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 PM

I too love the more traditional patterns and fabrics but do appreciate the more modern looking ones at the same time although I have never made one. I just find the older patterns and the "older" reproduction fabrics more comfortable but then my house is done in more traditional antiques so that is just my personal preference. i do enjoy looking at all the quilts on here and find them all beautiful. Glad everyone can feel free to do their own thing and there is no right or wrong when it comes to quilting.