Old 04-13-2011, 01:52 PM
OzarksGma

I have the new Tru Cut electric rotary blade sharpener.
It works fine. Except it doesn't take out the nicks.
It does extend the life of the blade as long as the blade just needs a touch of sharpening.

To the post that said after sharpening the blade there were still threads that had to be clipped. That means there is a nick in the blade and no sharpening will take it out.....
Toss the blade.[/quote]

It does not always mean a nick in the blade, maybe it is a bad mat. Sometimes when your mat gets used so much it does not heal it will leave a negligible groove and when you cut across it it will leave uncut threads.
I have used a Martelli cutter for the last 8 years and wouldn't trade it for anything else. When I put a new blade in I can cut 20 layers easily. I have to step down to about 12-14 layers when the blade gets used a lot.
These cutters are true ergonomic cutters and for anyone with arthritis, carpel tunnel, or hand fatigue they can't be beat. They even take the strain off a bad shoulder because you don't have to put your elbow out to the side and cut at 45 degrees.
You cut with the normal swing of your arm at 90 degrees straight out from your body. Since you have better control of the cutter straight out, there is less chance of veering off the side when cutting. The 45 degree cutters cost about $25.00 which is less than the new quick change Olfa cutters which run $30.00. I a real fan. I have both the 45mm and the 60mm cutters.
OzarksGma