Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 PM
kit'smamma

I wonder if there is some stereotying going on and the assumption that all male quilters must be gay. Even if that were true it would be an excuse for the treatment you have received. There are two men in my guild, both of whom are in long term marriages of the conventional kind.

I recall wanting to take a new car for a test drive. The first dealer handed me the keys and told me to take it out on the by-pass and try it at high speed. The other got in the car with me and directed me to a couple of turns and then right back to the dealership. The car never got up to drive gear. He then told me to bring my husband back if I was interested in the car. Guess which dealer got my business? One of my daughters had a boyfriend who knew far less about the internal combustion engine than she did but she discovered that if he was with her at the garage she was treated much more curteously than when she was alone. As you can see, this gender discrimination problem swings in both directions. When I was first admitted to the bar back in late 70s (at age 40)I was groped by a local lawyer on the court house elevator as I was going to my first hearing with a case file in my hand.

Good luck to you.

Jane