View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 07:11 AM
mimisharon

We have two super walmarts in town, the one closest to me doesn't carry fabric. It's considered a "beach" store. (We're 15 miles from the beach here at my house) but the other walmart now has a fat quarter section. They do have fabrics still but you sure don't want a lot of them.

My problem with it is we only have one other fabric store. Yesterday I went to buy ribbon for some special ordered 'brag' ribbons I make for military moms. The 7/8th grograin was 31 cents a yard at wally world. They only had the white so I had to go to Hancock's to buy the gold I needed. At Hancocks the 5/8ths ribbon was 99 cents a yard. They were also raising prices as I went through the shop.

As I still do garment sewing for special events it just aggravates me to have to pay hancock prices. If I'm going to pay high prices I'd rather give it to my LQS but they only carry the cotton. Wedding dresses and prom dresses don't look as good out of cotton. :wink:

The disparity in pricing and the rising prices will only hurt these places. Don't they realise that we consumers do comparison shopping for price and quality more in depression times? Do they not think they would make more by catering to us more often? :evil:

I'm going to be going online more but the wait time is hard when these gals all want their stuff made the day they come to you...

ok, off my soap box