Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Our Wal-mart is closing its Fabric Dept.

pal
    The lady in the Fabric Dept. said that the founder of Wal-Mart diied and that his son (s?) took over the business and don't feel that a fabric
    department is bringing in enough. (and a Party Department will?) Ours will close at the end of April. I think the new owners will be in for a big
    surprise! Here on Long Island, New York, we have a party store on
    practically every corner!
    There is a Jo-Ann's next to our Wal-mart. They keep raising their prices!
    And now without the Wal-mart Fabric Dept, they will raise them even higher. I'd rather eat dirt than pay higher prices at Jo-Ann's.....

Our Walmart already closed theirs and JoAnn's closed two years ago. We are left with very expensive fabrics now.

Maria

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear the sad news... What are these corporate people thinking :evil:
    Sharon

Banned
    Dunno, but I'm mad as well. Hopefully they won't get to Oregon any time soon. I know of three that have fabric, crossing fingers that they'll stay...

Wal-Mart corporate does not have a friendly customer policy. They come in and price the local shops out of business, and then close down departments and force customers to shop what THEY decide you want! I choose not to support them. :?

Blog Entries
    ours fazed out fabric this winter also...the local dime store quit carrying zippers when Wally moved in and I spend all one day looking for some...sent Wally a nasty email and told them what I thought of the whole thing. I local dime store stocked up on them now. They get alot of my notions buying now. Linda

The Wal-Mart petition is still alive

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe....cgi?savefab&1

over 42,000 have signed it, but the last signers were in April 2008, so the past year has dragged on and no one is paying any attention to the people who have opposed their corporate decision. What a shame!

Whatever happened to "the customer is always right?"

June

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    Whatever happened to "the customer is always right?"

June
    Well I guess it's not about the customer anymore, it's all about money... I called and complainted about JoAnn in Durham, and now I don't shop there. When WalMart closes the fabric dept., I won't shop there either. I really have no reason to go there since I usually shop at other places to buy cheaper groceries.

Stupid people -- don't they realize that when we go in to buy/look/touch fabric that we also buy other stuff????

We still have a fabric dept. store at my nearest WalMart but I'm afraid any day it's going to be gone... :x

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    Stupid people -- don't they realize that when we go in to buy/look/touch fabric that we also buy other stuff????
    LOL. I hear ya. My family already asked me if I would buy the FQ's and Jelly Rolls and I said NO, FQ's cost more and not too impressed with the jelly rolls. I've seen better on eBay for less... BUT if there was a huge sale on them, and I just happen to be there, maybe... :D

Our Wal-mart closed a 2 years ago, another that I would go to close last October, I have one other Wal-mart left that's not to far to travel to and they scaled back on the size of their department but today when I was in there I see they have added fat quarters and jelly rolls which I hope is promising sign that won't be going any where.
    jelly rolls were $19.96 and fat quarters were $1.49 they also had fat quarter roll not sure of how many were in a roll but they were $9.96 and it was some pretty fabric

Quote Originally Posted by Kmshir
    Our Wal-mart closed a 2 years ago, another that I would go to close last October, I have one other Wal-mart left that's not to far to travel to and they scaled back on the size of their department but today when I was in there I see they have added fat quarters and jelly rolls which I hope is promising sign that won't be going any where.
    jelly rolls were $19.96 and fat quarters were $1.49 they also had fat quarter roll not sure of how many were in a roll but they were $9.96 and it was some pretty fabric
    They were that much at my WalMart too -- who wants to buy a fat quarter for $1.49 when you can get a whole yard for $1.50 or $2?

Blog Entries
    i'm slowly making the switch from walmart fabs to buying online. (like most people i'd prefer to see it before buying but in-person shopping anywhere else is inconvenient and pretty expensive unless i catch a sale.

the WalMart fat quarter bundles are made up from a variety of fabrics. some i've never seen on the shelves in our walmart. they're very similar in both look and feel to some i've seen for $4 - $8 per yard elsewhere. i found one, though, that included a cut from a fabric they sell themselves for only $2.50 per yard. you aren't necessarily getting a "steal" on the FQ bundles (8 per roll) but if you choose carefully you'll pay about the same you'd pay elsewhere if the fabs are on sale.

i'll probably pick up a few rolls if any are left the next time i go. they come in handy for small projects and will save me the gas i'd need to get to the nearest fabric store or the postage i'd pay from an online shop.

pal
    When the lady told me that they were closing the fabric dept. at the end
    of April she actually began to cry. I asked her if she could order some
    fabric for me (which they have done before) and she said that they aren't allowed to order fabric anymore. Then I asked if she could order it if I bought the whole bolt (9 yards) - nope! no more orders.

As for our Jo-Ann's, I was checking over the quilting rulers one day and
    they said "excuse me" and CHANGED THE PRICE while I stood there -
    upped the rulers by 50 cents. Wouldn't you think they would do that at
    night instead of rubbing our noses in it?

I am not a fan of Wal-Mart. So far, fabric is the only item I have purchased there in my entire life!

A couple years ago they threatened to close the fabric department in the Hanover WalMart. Letters to the editor, letters and emails to WalMart and articles in the newspaper convinced them to leave the department there. Thank Goodness!! When WalMart came to Hanover, the two fabric stores closed up (JoAnne's and SoFro) and they (WalMart) were the only game in town. SPEAK UP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pal
    . I'd rather eat dirt than pay higher prices at Jo-Ann's.....
    AHMEN!

When I go to Walmart, it is to look for fabric & like many of you I pick up other things while there. Once the fabric is gone, I'm not sure I will go back very often. Yes, they can have good prices, but it is out of the way for me & when you figure in time & gas, it will be just as cheap to buy other items closer to home. It is to bad the owners don't realize that there are still people who sew & buy their fabric there. The party supplies for me will not be a draw to go to Walmart!!

Our fabric at Walmart is going strong and I bought one of those jelly rolls for $9.96 in brights. They have even put in sort of a quilt dept. with rulers and such. They do have a good supply of calicos too. Sam Walton died many years ago and the company is run by a board.

Blog Entries
    I only have one that has a fabric dept. adn that is small andhas not much to chose from. And that is closing some time soon.

We have two super walmarts in town, the one closest to me doesn't carry fabric. It's considered a "beach" store. (We're 15 miles from the beach here at my house) but the other walmart now has a fat quarter section. They do have fabrics still but you sure don't want a lot of them.

My problem with it is we only have one other fabric store. Yesterday I went to buy ribbon for some special ordered 'brag' ribbons I make for military moms. The 7/8th grograin was 31 cents a yard at wally world. They only had the white so I had to go to Hancock's to buy the gold I needed. At Hancocks the 5/8ths ribbon was 99 cents a yard. They were also raising prices as I went through the shop.

As I still do garment sewing for special events it just aggravates me to have to pay hancock prices. If I'm going to pay high prices I'd rather give it to my LQS but they only carry the cotton. Wedding dresses and prom dresses don't look as good out of cotton. :wink:

The disparity in pricing and the rising prices will only hurt these places. Don't they realise that we consumers do comparison shopping for price and quality more in depression times? Do they not think they would make more by catering to us more often? :evil:

I'm going to be going online more but the wait time is hard when these gals all want their stuff made the day they come to you...

ok, off my soap box

One of the things I was told as to why Walmart was closing the fabric departments was that it was too expensive to manage compared to other departments. They had to have trained (or semi trained!) people on duty just for that department to cut fabric. The new craft departments that was to take its place would have pre-cut yardage. Will buying the jelly rolls and fat quarters (pre-cut fabric!!) make it seem to upper management that that is the way to go???

[b]We still have our fabric dept at the WalMarts here but it is also scaled back and of course you have to ring the bell and wait forever for someone to come and wait on you. I used to go in there and look at their fabric but anymore I just buzz right by that dept. When they did the remodel a few years ago they of course moved it to a different location and not shopper friendly at all.
    I get so upset with their people that work there especially some of the cashiers, when it says was you clerk friendly today I have hit more NO's
    than yes as some are very unfriendly. Do not care for the store.
    I know Joanns is raising their prices also ours is quite small and crowded but the clerks are very nice and helpful.

Hope for better days.

ef

The Walmart in Traverse City, Mi is phasing out its fabric department as well. I guess I'll will have to order over the internet. There are plenty of fabric and quilting stores represented.

Banned
    Our Walmart is packed with fabrics... :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast