Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to keep a fabric dept. in your local wal-mart

I was in a Wal-Mart last night after 9:00 PM. I was looking for flannel. There was a large amount of flannel, and quite a variety of other fabrics. There were also several other people shopping for fabric. The employee in the area was very helpful as she chatted with all of us, cutting our purchases.

So I asked if there was a possibility the department would be going away, as it had in other w-m stores. She replied that they are one of three in the district getting to keep the department, by virtue of the fact that they outsold all the other fabric depts in all the other w-m stores in the district. She assured me there was no chance of discontinuing the dept. at this particular store, as the quilters purchase so much from there. :wink:

So I guess there is hope for keeping a fabric dept. in w-m, if you can get enough of the quilters/seamstresses/school home ec teachers & classes/etc. to buy from there.

Do I hear "UNITE"?

(By the way, this is not local for me. I have to travel over 60 miles to get to this particular store. It is usually my last stop in a long day of errand running.)

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I always buy as much as I can at Wal-mart for that very reason. We live NOWHERE and I don't want to loose that fabric department.

By the way, QuiltMom. SE Nebraska 60 or so miles from a good Wal-mart. Does that put you in the Auburn area?

Ours are all gone.

Banned
    I hate to say this but it would be a cold day in hell before I would step foot in a Walmart.

I used to go all the time back when they only carried made in USA stuff so you can guess how many years that has been. Since Sam Walton passed away it has been downhill ever since.

I would rather support my LQS or a my local Hancock Fabrics.

I know that some of you folks only have a Wally world to buy fabric locally and I might be in the same boat when I move to my farm in middle TN later this year, but I will be going to internet sites instead.

Billy

I RARELY shop in Wal Mart for the same reason - not enough Made in America stuff!!! Connecting Threads DOES have American made (American GROWN cotton) and I shop through them - even with their weird shipping rules (discussed here before) their fabrics are nice and not that expensive. When I go to my local quilt store I look for American made first and usually buy those fabrics as much as possible.

I don't care where the fabric comes from I can't afford a lot of expensive stuff. Walmart has given a lot of people in my community jobs and kept other stores on their toes. We still have our fabric at my store but I only buy it if I like what they have.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I was browsing around my local Wal-mart fabric department yesterday. They have some real nice fabric and I support them every chance I get. Ours has a good selection. I was looking at the flannel yesterday and liked what I saw.

Blog Entries
    when they took the fabric out of our local WM they also took thread, zippers, ribbon etc...I sent off a nasty email and told them that the local dime store quit carrying zippers when wally moved in and we couldn't find a zipper in the whole town....guess what, they moved the notions back in....bitching does help sometimes.

Banned
    I have to buy where I can afford it and Walmart is first on the list ....however I wish they had some competition.

Wow, I must have the worst walmart fabric selection ever...I haven't shopped there is a few years because the fabric selection was so bad. When shopping there for back to school supplies this past August I did glance through and yep...still awful. I remember when I first started quilting and sewing in general I would only go there to buy my fabric but it's just gotten really bad. Thankfully I live in a city that has multiple Joanns, Hancocks & lqs-s. After reading the posts about not having anything local I realize how lucky I am.

Lisa - in the vicinity. Do you know people in this area?

I have 5 Wal-marts in a 45 mile radius and all but one are losing or have lost their fabric. the one that has it, might as well not. They have one little row of fabric. Wal-mart does not care about the sewer or quilter. They are enlargeing the electronics and party supplies departments. I have been byuing several pieces off e-bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I know that some of you folks only have a Wally world to buy fabric locally and I might be in the same boat when I move to my farm in middle TN later this year, but I will be going to internet sites instead.

Billy
    I'm from middle TN too! :) Near Nashville. What part are you from? I usually go to JoAnne's... The only Walmart near me that has fabric still is about a 25 minute drive so I guess that's not bad, but JoAnne's is only about 10-15 minutes... I heard that Walmart carries poor quality fabrics... I haven't bought fabric from them so I don't know this to be true.. For now I'm sticking with Joanne...

Banned
    Hey LindaR,
    where in Michigan do you live? I am in the Port Huron area,and wish our brand new bigger w-m would bring back the fabric dept.
    I think a lot of why they got rid o0f it wasbecause after 9p.m., it was very hard to find someone to work that department and the ones who did, didn't know a thing about what they were doing.
    I'll have to post a picture of the quilt I made for myself with all the fabric from only w-m. Good thing I had bought enough at the time, cause when I went back, the fabric was all gone.
    Sorry to see them go.
    Bev
    Attached Images Attached Images

JS
    Good for you Darlene.You have to do what you have to do. I buy from LQS and some at Wal-Mart. I guess I am in the minority, but I actually like my Wal-Mart. Always have . When you are on a buget ...like I say. You do what you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I hate to say this but it would be a cold day in hell before I would step foot in a Walmart.

I used to go all the time back when they only carried made in USA stuff so you can guess how many years that has been. Since Sam Walton passed away it has been downhill ever since.

I would rather support my LQS or a my local Hancock Fabrics.

Billy
    I'm just like you Billy. I loved Walmart for years, but now the are not the store they used to be. I usually go to Hancock fabrics here. I watch the sales and get great buys. And the ladies know me there. My LQS is the same. When I can afford to buy their fabrics I do.

Quote Originally Posted by tarbender30
    Hey LindaR,
    where in Michigan do you live? I am in the Port Huron area,and wish our brand new bigger w-m would bring back the fabric dept.
    I think a lot of why they got rid o0f it wasbecause after 9p.m., it was very hard to find someone to work that department and the ones who did, didn't know a thing about what they were doing.
    I'll have to post a picture of the quilt I made for myself with all the fabric from only w-m. Good thing I had bought enough at the time, cause when I went back, the fabric was all gone.
    Sorry to see them go.
    Bev
    Beautiful quilt. I have some of that small floral on the black background. I love your other florals too.

I'll bet all the people at Cranston Print Works wish all Walmart fabric departments were already closed. Maybe they would still have their jobs.

Banned
    Thanx You littlehud, I was very pleased with the finished project myself. I just LOVE purples.
    Thanxs
    Bev

I am glad to know there are still people who are happy with the fabrics from WalMart. I do not shop Wal-Mart unlessI am traveling and there are no other choices. The ones I stop at have clean rest rooms!

Tarbender30 - I love your quilt :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    When the fabric is depleted in the warehouse, no more fabric will be sold at Walmart except the pre cut craft fabric. Right now the WalMarts that do still have the fabric dept. are getting the warehouse supply, lot of it too. I have talked to several WalMart buyers and the fabric dept is and will be phased out. :cry: :evil:

First Walmart get rid of Layaway.... now fabric.... What next!! :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by diogirl
    First Walmart get rid of Layaway.... now fabric.... What next!! :shock:
    I don't understand why they got rid of layaway. It would seem that they would get more business by having that with the economy the way it is.

Our Walmart will be closing their fabric dept. when they "remodel" in Feb. The quality of their fabric has really deteriorated during the past six months...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast