Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Dept coming to Wal-Mart near you

Blog Entries
    I was in the Muskogee OK. Wal-Mart talking to the Manger about the fabric dept. They are clearing a space for it as I speak. He said a lot of the Wal-Marts are re entering the fabric dept to try to boost their sales. Said to may sewers have complained & stop shopping there. I advised him of our quilting blog,our mass # of quilters on it how we talk about them. How a lot of us no longer browse Wal-Mart because all the fabric dept are gone he took a lot of notes said he had heard about our Blog @ a regional meeting they even had some of our comments .So watch for more fabric dept to re appear in your store hopefully . Will post again after it is set up.

Blog Entries
    It is so wonderful that our voices were finally heard by the higher ups at Walmart. Our Walmart looks like it may be getting a bunch of new fabrics in, probably fall/Halloween. I am excited because the prices aren't that bad and the quality so far has been very nice.

Im glad they finally listened.

Woooo....Hooooo..... :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    :) loving this :)

Quote Originally Posted by Enchanted Quilter
    he took a lot of notes said he had heard about our Blog @ a regional meeting they even had some of our comments .
    This is too funny! To think that corporate Walmart reads QB and takes notes on what people think here...

Of course, when I go back the states, I do look at Walmart for fabric and if they don't have any, the store just isn't very interesting anymore....so I leave.

I was so sad last time I went and most WM didn't have fabric. I've bought a LOT of fabric there that I really liked (and still like since I'm using it now).

Blog Entries
    Really glad to hear that. I was wondering if they would bring it back. I usually only go into Muskogee once a week with my daughter. She doesn't usually want to stop at Hancocks and Hobby Lobby is always closed because we go so late.

Thanks for posting this. By the way I live in Fort Gibson.

I wont shop at Walmart, no matter how low their prices. Their employee practices are outrageous and denigrating. Nothing is worth the price to participate in subjecting others to such treatment. And yes, work is voluntary... but so is eating. Signed: not a Walmart fan.

I was in one 20 mi from me 2 days ago & sad to say, it was much, much smaller than 6 mths ago or so!!!
    And the one closet to me is lots smaller too. Don't think their all the same, tho...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

They put fabric back into one of my Walmarts. I have been there several times and there is NEVER anyone in the dept to help with cutting. I don't think it would be self serve ? They have lost alot of money from me for the above reason. Disappointed. :?

My closest WM never dropped it's fabric department, but I'm not a fan. I don't like the weight of the fabric, plus the prints always seem to be printed off grain and the colors seem off compared to other stores. Plus the fabric department also suffers from the "no one works here" syndrome that I find in nearly every department @ walmart.

I'd much rather use my coupon and go to Hobby Lobby, Joann's, or Hancocks or save to buy just what I need/want at my LQS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kimscruzer
    They put fabric back into one of my Walmarts. I have been there several times and there is NEVER anyone in the dept to help with cutting. I don't think it would be self serve ? They have lost alot of money from me for the above reason. Disappointed. :?
    I have had the same experience. My WM in Indiana, PA has lots of fabric now, but I have walked out 3 times without any fabric because no one was around to cut it. I left the store disgruntled and went to K Mart to shop.

NO LUCK HERE. I talked to a manager, she said they would check out this board, but are not thinking of putting fabric in. We local people were so happy to be getting a super WM. Well we got a very hard to shop in store. No straight walkways to find anything. AND no fabric! I was told to go to another WM. 50 miles away. Tried it once, they had very little fabric and a young guy(I felt sorry for him) cut my fabric, and he said no one really showed him how. I can`t drive that far, for so little to choose from, get a bad cut and it takes up too much of my time.

My local WalMart never lost their fabric, but what I've noticed is they are carrying more fabric and slightly better quality of fabric. I usually buy my interfacing and supplies like that there. I agree that help is hard to find, but when was the last time you walked out of WalMart with only one item? They are counting on you buying more than you came in for. I thing they have cut staff to save money. JMHO
    Sue

No quilter's voices were heard at my Walmart- there is almost no fabric.

Blog Entries
    At one of the Walmarts here where I live, they have not gotten any fabric other than the 5 yards on a bolt junk.
    There was a gal redoing the thread saying they got a new rack for thread, so maybe they will get back to having a fabric department, not holding my breath though as they were so vocal on how they needed the wedding department - one of the reasons they got rid of the fabric.
    This is an area that has a lot of country areas and few fabric shops, 2 local Quilt shops that sell fabric higher than what you can get it online.
    We also have a Joanns, but they are on the high side fabric cost as well.

Our Walmart is selling fabrics precut in a bunch of solids in 2 yard packages, select prints the same, and then bundles of fat quarters and squares and single fat quarters. So far, the ones I have bought and used have been of fairly good Joann Fabric calico quality and very little strings. Compared to the mess and quality they had when they took out fabric completely, this is a fresh breath of air on a hot day. Sure wish they would put the entire department back the way it was though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug45
    Really glad to hear that. I was wondering if they would bring it back. I usually only go into Muskogee once a week with my daughter. She doesn't usually want to stop at Hancocks and Hobby Lobby is always closed because we go so late.

Thanks for posting this. By the way I live in Fort Gibson.
    We need to meet in Muskogee. Do you have in lsq in Ft Gibson or nearby????

Yes, mine is coming back, hooray.
    Hey Walmart! Now you need to put back your layout for the store. I used to walk down all the long rows just to see what was there and bought alot of stuff I didnt know I wanted. Now it is all chopped up so dont bother. You lost some sales from me and others that I have talked to that feel the same.

Blog Entries
    You'd be very surprised at what quilt business has robots scouring this board and and others for any mention of their name or products. We do have a big voice so it's very important to post all the good as well as the disappointing reviews of products and services. Any business that wants to succeed these days have internet bots working very hard!

Blog Entries
    Hopefully!
    I have a Wal-Mart about 10 blocks from home!
    Hopefully, bring it to my country!
    I remember well was when they opened .... but at the time I not sewed! LOL!

Our Wal-Mart remodeled 2 years ago & took out the fabric dept. All they have now is precuts, which I refuse to buy.

Aside from all the products they no longer carry (allot of food items), the aisles are hard to nagivate. It's like trying to find your way out of a maze. I do not shop the aisle anymore, as I have problems with my back, feet & walking, so I get what I need & get out. I've been going to other local stores to get things I can no longer get at Wal-Mart.

They may depend on you buying more than one item, but if you don`t go there it won`t happen. I like to buy every thing at one place. We live out in the country,(we are farmers)and buy in larger amounts, as we have little time to spend in town with field work in summer and lots more barn work in winter and then too the ice & snow on the roads. I have found a reasonable priced store that carries every thing WM does, but no fabric either!

Well, next week, I will find out if any improvements are made in our only store, which is an hour ride 1 way and serves many, many towns in our neck of the woods. I have not been there in about almost 2 months. I did not buy anything. Happened DH and I went to the Lowe's there and WalMart is across the street. I was not impressed by what I saw..still one aisle with a cutting table in the middle and 2 people. One is the same lady that has been in fabrics since I had shopped there

Banned
    My local Walmart doesn't have fabric either. Our Walmart is in a fairly economically depressed area, and I'm guessing maybe the people in that area don't sew much? Just guessing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast