View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 07:14 AM
seamstome

I think that these things may work. I joined a new guild and they are awful about this. My last guild was not. Part of the difference is the room layout and how the meeting is run. The first room was set up so you were in rows, looking at the front. The second has people facing each other not looking directly at the speaker. I think this encourages people to chat.

The first guild had a generous social time before the meeting so that everybody had enough time to gab. Then you had a brisk business meeting with a podium and microphone. Topics for discussion were presented in the newsletter so you had time to think about it. I think when you get there and a new topic is brought up you "think outloud" alot. Finally there was a break before the speaker.

The new guild lets people keep their projects at their seats so that is a distraction. The old guild if you brought anything for show/tell you deposited it on a table as you walk in and you didnt sit around doing hand stitching during the meeting.