View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 05:58 AM
shaverg

Hi Peabee, from g shaver. I am a handquilter too and have been since 1983. If cost is an issue I use a batting with some or all polyester, make sure you can feel that it has some bonding otherwise you may eventually get what is called bearding after constant use ( the batting will start coming through the seams). Mountain mist or fairfield is a good inexpensive batting, use a low loft, easier to quilt through. For me cotton needle punched batting work really well, although wool is the best for hand quilting, but more expensive. I know many people try to save money on the inexpensive batting walmart carries, It is way too loose. There is a site I believe called BattyLady. She has cotton needle punched mountain mist which is great. but you want the needlepunched side facing the backing and the side the needles come through on the top side. Also the size of needle has something to do with size of spaces and size of stitches I use a 12 or a 10, nothing larger. I also rock my needle. But it is what ever works for you. I know some people use the stab method I wish I could do that because I still struggle through multiple seams and have to take one stitch at a time when I come to a bulky seam. I the smaller needles I get about 10 or 11 stitches to the inch, but I still have spaces, you will with handqulting. I like to be able to see that it is hand quilted otherwise I would machine quilt. Which I have to confess I am finally going to learn.

I know you will also get many good ideas from others on this site. I just started a couple weeks ago and love this board.

Hope this helps.