Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one?

OK, confession time.

Am I the only person who is weird enough to crawl around on the floor under my quilting frame to look at how the hand quilting is turning out on the backside? This is my first quilt, and it looks so beautiful and different on the other side!

You are not weird just more ablebodied than me. I couldn't crawl around on the floor for anything. I use a round standing frame so I can just flip over the edges that are already done and admire them. My favorite part of quilting is the handquilting part. While many advise using a printed back to hide the quilting I prefer a solid color or white etc so the quilting shows. I have done several wholecloth white on whites etcs. One is queen size. I love the look of the handquilting.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I have a floor frame too and do the same! So if you're weird, at least you're not alone!

K x

I have been so surprised at how immensely satisfying it is to hand quilt. I was dreading that part on this first quilt, I figured I would get bored with it. But, as it turns out, it is one of the most relaxing things I have ever done.

I've been listening to audiobooks while I quilt. Heaven!

I've used a mirror, before I learned that since I am not exhibiting my work, it doesn't really matter. Sometimes, done is better than perfect. :D

Well since I use a lap frame I do turn mine over oftern to look at he beack side!

I had to laugh when I read this. I crawl under my quilt frame all the time to see what it looks like. If you are weird, them so am I.

I have gotten under the quilt to see what it looks like, but getting back up is always the problem! Now I can wait until it is done to see the back side. Whenever we take any quilt out of the frame at church, the first thing we do is give it a good shake and turn it over to see the back side! It is a wonderful joy to behold, seeing all those stitches with out any blocks, just to see all the stitches! Wow! :lol:

I can understand what you are saying and if I could I would do it to. Only problem is I couldn't get back up off the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I can understand what you are saying and if I could I would do it to. Only problem is I couldn't get back up off the floor.
    Oh, yeah, the son doesn't understand when I yell for help to get up or crawl to the nearest chair to help me. But even with machine quilting I'm constantly turning the quilt over to see how the back looks. Hand quilting, IF I use a frame or not, I can't resist looking frequently.

Got to be normal if all of us do it, right? :wink:

Ahaha! This made me laugh!

In my family we have made a lot of tied quilts together. If I was at a tough spot- a seam or something- where the needle didn't want to go in and out easily, I would push the needle down, crawl under the quilt, grab the needle and push it back up. So I know what you mean even though I have never quilted with a frame.

(It's fun under there- like a tent! Now I know why the kids want to play under there.)

If I had one, I'd probably do the same thing. Not weird at all!

Blog Entries
    Do the same.

I do that too!!! I also found it very interesting!!

Kyia

I always like looking at the back side of quilts. Almost more than looking at the front.

Banned
    That's cute and had to giggle when I tried to picture myself crawling under my sewing table. They'd have to get the jaws of life to get me out... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just can't help but look, I crawl under and lay on my back and admire, then roll out and try to find something to pull myself up with lol

Quote Originally Posted by motomom
    OK, confession time.

Am I the only person who is weird enough to crawl around on the floor under my quilting frame to look at how the hand quilting is turning out on the backside? This is my first quilt, and it looks so beautiful and different on the other side!
    i use a mirror on a stick. LOL!

Our quilt group does hand quilting at the Fair. We have people look under the quilt to see what it looks like. They tell us that as children they sat under the quilt to listen to the adults. Wonderful stories.

Blog Entries
    Not weird at all. I love looking at the back of my quilt when I am quilting. I love the way it looks. I also love running my hand along the stitching, I love the feel of the stitched fabric. I also enjoy hand quilting. This is really the only way that I have quilted. I will machine quilt the fabric for my purses though.
    chamby

Not weird at all. When I use a floor frame, I crawl under the quilt and look at my stitches all the time. My poor knee sure complains when I crawl out and have to stand back up! I've been using a little lap frame lately and while it's not as fun to be twisting and turning a queen size quilt in my lap, I can just flip the frame over and see what I've been doing.

Handquilting is the most satisfying thing ever. I like to make the tops just to get to the quilting stage. Some of my quilts never get quilted though. My baby and kids quilts get tied...that way I don't have stacks of quilts waiting to be quilted!

Blog Entries
    I love to look at the back! Even when machine quilting, when I take it out of the machine to reposition it I alway lay it out on the floor to check for puckers. I look at both front and back. I look at the back more. I only have a hoop to hand quilt with and I love looking at the back side!

mp speedy,
    The reason for advising to do a print back is for beginner's. If the work isn't perfect, it doesn't matter as much. As you progress, you willl most likely prefer the solid backs. That is one thing I wish I had known when I first started. All of my learning mistakes showed on my first few. I did not know to start off with a patterned back for learning............But, I do love the look of the stitches to show now that I am better.
    I guess it just depends on your skill levels.......LOL :)

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I love to look at the back! Even when machine quilting, when I take it out of the machine to reposition it I alway lay it out on the floor to check for puckers. I look at both front and back. I look at the back more. I only have a hoop to hand quilt with and I love looking at the back side!
    I have a question. I have a hoop that is, hmmm, 18-24"...can tell I haven't messed with it in a while...it's for hand quilting. Read that you are supposed to leave some give in fabric, about fist sized,...my question is, does having it hooped stretch the fabric? I do cross stitch on aida, with no problems, but have been a little worried about my quilting projects, so haven't braved it yet. I love hand sewing.

quiltncrazy,

I have a lap frame that is 18". When I get ready to go to bed for the night, I looses the frame a little bit...this prevents leaving hoop marks. I get the fabric in pretty loose. It won't stretch the fabric, I haven't had a problem with stretching on one of my quilts yet. If you leave a little give in the hoop, you'll be able to rock the needle and have an easier time to get the needle through the fabric.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast