Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one? >

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:47 AM

Not weird at all. When I use a floor frame, I crawl under the quilt and look at my stitches all the time. My poor knee sure complains when I crawl out and have to stand back up! I've been using a little lap frame lately and while it's not as fun to be twisting and turning a queen size quilt in my lap, I can just flip the frame over and see what I've been doing.

Handquilting is the most satisfying thing ever. I like to make the tops just to get to the quilting stage. Some of my quilts never get quilted though. My baby and kids quilts get tied...that way I don't have stacks of quilts waiting to be quilted!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I love to look at the back! Even when machine quilting, when I take it out of the machine to reposition it I alway lay it out on the floor to check for puckers. I look at both front and back. I look at the back more. I only have a hoop to hand quilt with and I love looking at the back side!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:56 AM

mp speedy,
The reason for advising to do a print back is for beginner's. If the work isn't perfect, it doesn't matter as much. As you progress, you willl most likely prefer the solid backs. That is one thing I wish I had known when I first started. All of my learning mistakes showed on my first few. I did not know to start off with a patterned back for learning............But, I do love the look of the stitches to show now that I am better.
I guess it just depends on your skill levels.......LOL :)
Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
I love to look at the back! Even when machine quilting, when I take it out of the machine to reposition it I alway lay it out on the floor to check for puckers. I look at both front and back. I look at the back more. I only have a hoop to hand quilt with and I love looking at the back side!
I have a question. I have a hoop that is, hmmm, 18-24"...can tell I haven't messed with it in a while...it's for hand quilting. Read that you are supposed to leave some give in fabric, about fist sized,...my question is, does having it hooped stretch the fabric? I do cross stitch on aida, with no problems, but have been a little worried about my quilting projects, so haven't braved it yet. I love hand sewing.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:21 AM

quiltncrazy,

I have a lap frame that is 18". When I get ready to go to bed for the night, I looses the frame a little bit...this prevents leaving hoop marks. I get the fabric in pretty loose. It won't stretch the fabric, I haven't had a problem with stretching on one of my quilts yet. If you leave a little give in the hoop, you'll be able to rock the needle and have an easier time to get the needle through the fabric.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 AM

thanks for the tip (for newbees) to use a printed back! i brought one of those preprinted white designs, aprox 30x30. got caught up in the buying frenzy of a show, i've never handquilted before. i had planned to use a running stitch, but it seems to me you'd get a lot of "blank" spaces. what is a nice and easy and neat looking stitch for a busy panel? also, what brand hand quilting thread and batting do you guys out there prefer? THANKS!!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by sonshine
mp speedy,
The reason for advising to do a print back is for beginner's. If the work isn't perfect, it doesn't matter as much. As you progress, you willl most likely prefer the solid backs. That is one thing I wish I had known when I first started. All of my learning mistakes showed on my first few. I did not know to start off with a patterned back for learning............But, I do love the look of the stitches to show now that I am better.
I guess it just depends on your skill levels.......LOL :)
Since this is my first quilt, and I knew I would have to go through the learning process to do it, I put that on a label that I cross-stitched and incorporated into the top corner block. It say clearly, "My First Quilt" then my name and stuff. My daughter (intended recipient) commented that she is so happy that I put that on there, so she can always claim to her siblings that OBVIOUSLY she was the most important child, as she got the first quilt!

Actually, I'm glad I put that label on there for me. It's like seeing my learning history in each stitch. You can see the progress.

I'm also getting faster, although I can see that the word "fast" is really relative when it comes to hand quilting!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM

Have have begun sewing a pocket on my quilt back before I sandwich my layers. Then after the quilt is finished I write/or type my name and info onto a piece of cardstock. I laminate the card and slide it into the pocket. It can be taken out to clean the quilt or wall hanging.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sonshine
Have have begun sewing a pocket on my quilt back before I sandwich my layers. Then after the quilt is finished I write/or type my name and info onto a piece of cardstock. I laminate the card and slide it into the pocket. It can be taken out to clean the quilt or wall hanging.
Thats a great idea....knowing me..I'd loose the card though :roll: :oops:
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 PM

I haven't crawled under a quilt frame since I was 4 and asked my grandma if I could help tie the quilt she had on the frame. I had to poke the needle down from the top, then crawl under to push it up through the quilt again...but I think I did more playing under the 'tent' than I did tying the quilt. What memories! Oh, and now my sister in Montana has Grandma's quilt frame. And, yes, she quilts...when she isn't teaching elementary school!

Jojo