View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 AM
patmas57

Originally Posted by kay carlson
Originally Posted by Grinster
What kind of C-PAP do you have. My husband's is noisy and keeps me awake. I am a former Recovery Room Nurse and couldn't sleep for counting his apnea episodes and waiting to start CPR. Now the machine noise keeps me awake. Good to have an extra bedroom.
I have a ResMed Escape II unit with attached humidifier and use a Swift mask with nasal pillows. There probably is a newer version as I've had this unit for almost two years. The entire machine, electrical cord, hose and mask fit neatly in a nylon bag the size of briefcase. If you are flying I would recommend you check on line on how your carry-on will be examined by TSA. That knowledge should take away your anxiety about the unknown.

The technician at the medical supply company we use suggested that no question is stupid or silly. In fact, he said that when there are no questions/ concerns --- he figures the machine is not being used. Give positive/negative feedback to your technician so he/she will be better prepared to help others.

There are a variety of machines and masks on the market.
Good luck and "good nights" :)
I also have a ResMed machine and use the ResMed Mirage Swift II mask with nasal pillows. I've been using a CPAP for so many years I can't even remember, but it made an immense difference to my life and DH's.

I was falling asleep at red lights and didn't know why I was so tired all the time until DH casually mentioned that (as well as snoring) I stopped breathing during the nights. This had been going on for he thought six months before he got around to telling me. After my sleep study, I learned that I'd been getting only 11 minutes of REM sleep per night.

I noticed an immediate improvement with the machine, even though it took a while to find the right mask. The first one, triangular in shape, just didn't fit my face right; I always had air leaking out around the sides. I never thought the nasal pillows would be tolerable, but it's amazing how you can jam these things up your nostrils and then just not notice them after a minute or so.

For those of you who have machines and don't use them, a word of caution. I truly believe that I lost my Dear Mom because of undiagnosed sleep apnea. She passed before I even knew about the condition, but I remember her falling asleep watching tv and then "snorting" herself awake, and she eventually suffered from congestive heart failure, which is a condition that sleep apnea can lead to. She had to have a heart valve replaced when she was about 72, and she did not recover well from the operation. (She also had diabetes.) She spent months in a nursing home, and even after returning home needed lots of care. (Fortunately my oldest sister pitched in; I live out of state.) She finally was able to visit us in our new house nearly two years after the operation, and I was trying to convince her to move up here with us (from So. Cal. to Wash state). Sadly, she caught a systemic infection later the same month after she'd returned home (probably because of a certain drug the doctors prescribed that was known to have that side effect), and even though she went to the doctors feeling lousy, they sent her back home (love Medicare!). That night she called 911, they broke down her door to get her to the hospital, and they revived her once there just briefly before she was gone.

I think if she'd been treated for the sleep apnea, she might not have had the congestive heart failure to begin with. So, if you've been diagnosed and have a machine, for your own and your loved ones' sakes, try, try, try to find a way to use it! I really miss my Mom!