Thread: need advise
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Rose_P

I bought a White Superlock 5 years ago at a garage sale dirt cheap. I had to spend about $100 to get a few things that it needed (can't recall what all), but it is a great machine and works great, and it was a steal even after the additional spending. I bought several sets of cone thread. I sat down with the video that comes with it and learned the basics. I think I made one little house dress. Then I didn't use it again for a few months, and realized that I'd have to start all over again with that video, and it was hard to get motivated to do that, when I had other projects that were more "approachable". After my grandson was born, by DIL asked if I had some fabric swatches with various textures for the baby to play with, and serging was the best way to finish those in a hurry. I managed it without too much trouble, but broke the needle on the last one. Every time I think about sewing anything other than a quilt, it seems to me to be more expensive than just buying clothes, and home sewn things can't be tried on first. Long story short: I've used the thing twice in 5 years. I'm not sure why I'm hanging on to it. I guess it's the triumph of hope over experience.