View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 AM
patdesign

Originally Posted by margie77072
I have had it. I tried one more, no let's correct that, twice more to do piecing. I am working on a baby quilt made up of rectangles. It took only 6 FQ's and looks easy. Well, I put it together and some of my columns are off by 1/2". How'd that happen? I cut carefully. I checked and double checked my 1/4" seams. And still, I'm off. Okay 1/2" on a couple of seams no biggie. It was easy to fix, I think. I'll know for sure when I get the backing on it.

Then, I thought, let's try one of those quick to do blocks, pinwheels, to be exact. I decided to use the MSQC (or whatever) method of sewing completely around a set of squares and then cutting twice on the diagonal. Seems simply enough. I had some solids and some striped 5" squares and decided to use them. I knew the square was going to be a bit smaller and was prepared for that. What I wasn't prepared for was that I'd end up with two different size HST's within each square. You know, if you cut diagonally you end up with 4 HST's. Simple, right. Hardly!

Thanks for letting me rant. I feel better. Back to my "simple" quilts. I think I'll stick to paper-piecing after this. Oh no! I'll eventually have to put those squares into a quilt....LOL
I have found that some times when cutting apart hsts that the ruler can slip because of seams beneath and cause blocks to be off, it just multiplies on every block that is fractionally off. (happened to me on a DpP) I have a 1/4 inch piecing foot that I would have a fit if I didn't have it as my 1/4 inch seams suck otherewise!! I have seen that MSQC video and want to try it, but too much else on my plateright now. :D