Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why I Hate Piecing >

Why I Hate Piecing

Why I Hate Piecing

Old 07-26-2011, 11:32 AM

I have had it. I tried one more, no let's correct that, twice more to do piecing. I am working on a baby quilt made up of rectangles. It took only 6 FQ's and looks easy. Well, I put it together and some of my columns are off by 1/2". How'd that happen? I cut carefully. I checked and double checked my 1/4" seams. And still, I'm off. Okay 1/2" on a couple of seams no biggie. It was easy to fix, I think. I'll know for sure when I get the backing on it.

Then, I thought, let's try one of those quick to do blocks, pinwheels, to be exact. I decided to use the MSQC (or whatever) method of sewing completely around a set of squares and then cutting twice on the diagonal. Seems simply enough. I had some solids and some striped 5" squares and decided to use them. I knew the square was going to be a bit smaller and was prepared for that. What I wasn't prepared for was that I'd end up with two different size HST's within each square. You know, if you cut diagonally you end up with 4 HST's. Simple, right. Hardly!

Thanks for letting me rant. I feel better. Back to my "simple" quilts. I think I'll stick to paper-piecing after this. Oh no! I'll eventually have to put those squares into a quilt....LOL
Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM

:) :(
Old 07-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

I'm HST challenged, so I always cut the squares way larger than needed, sew my seam(s), cut, press, then cut down to the finished size. Once you get the hang of paper piecing, though, the accuracy can't be beat!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:44 AM

Eleanor Burns has a great way to do her HSTs.

mltquilt
Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 AM

I use Thangles....I'm not very good at doing them on my own!!! They always turn out RIGHT for me!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

SOunds like you get off on your cutting - particularly if your seam allowances are even. Recommendation: If you have many pieces to cut that are the same size, take some blue painter's tape and lay it on the line of your ruler the size you need to cut. Or put the tape along both measurements of your ruler when you need to cut a square (or rectangle) That way you will see immediately if your ruler is not aligned properly on the fabric.

Your square for the HST probably wasn't square either. Word of advice on the method you described: You will have to deal with the bias edges and they distort easily. That's why I prefer to do them 2 at a time from oversized squares.

Don't give up yet. But in the meantime, you could work with panels. No piecing there.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 AM

I have problems too and I know it is just more practice and attention to accuarcy. The little bit off here and there really add up when you put them together.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by arkansasquilter123
I use Thangles....I'm not very good at doing them on my own!!! They always turn out RIGHT for me!!!
Noted.....thanks!
Old 07-26-2011, 12:00 PM

I use a similar product I think it was triangles on a roll. Pretty slick and I also have trouble with the triangles, but this made me feel much better.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Check your rulers ladies, some of them are not accurate and that includes the cutting board.