Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why I Hate Piecing >

Why I Hate Piecing

Why I Hate Piecing

Old 07-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

don't give up. practice on small projects... wall hangings, placemats, mugrugs, etc. it'll come
Old 07-26-2011, 12:14 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I'm HST challenged, so I always cut the squares way larger than needed, sew my seam(s), cut, press, then cut down to the finished size. Once you get the hang of paper piecing, though, the accuracy can't be beat!
That Missouri Quilt method results in four HST's with exposed bias on all four edges. :roll:
So it you didn't starch the fabric squares into oblivion before sewing and cutting, and weren't gentle in the way you handled them, they are going to stretch. And end up being different sizes. And/or not square.

I know it's all the rage to use that method (and others have no problem with it) but I wouldn't bother. Not worth it. You save some time sewing but pay for it when trying to use them.

Like Paper Princess, I always use the cut bigger and trim down to size method. Results in perfect HST's each time.

Paper piecing (Thangles or On-a-roll or freezer paper) are other options but you have the additional step of the foundation preparation and/or removal to deal with. But it's worth it if you're having a problem with any of the other methods.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:15 PM

yes especially if you use two different rulers they could be possibly different too.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:18 PM

Spent all of last Saturday trying to get small little squares sewn together to match a big square. What a nightmare. I found that my cutting skills and sewing skills need to be worked on before sewing little squares casue a bitsy error multiplies fast! I also should have heeded prior warnings about different rulers. Not only that I found out that my 1/4" foot is different from machine to machine so don't change machines mid stream.

I redesigned the quilt to get rid of my problem!

I feel your pain.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:18 PM

it will get better--slow down, there's no race...
take a deep breath...
Feel better?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:04 PM

Be careful with your pressing. You can stretch it out of shape and size so fast. Take a deep breath. Been there, done that and feel you pain and frustration. Hugs.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I'm HST challenged, so I always cut the squares way larger than needed, sew my seam(s), cut, press, then cut down to the finished size. Once you get the hang of paper piecing, though, the accuracy can't be beat!
Link for 4 sizes of HST's.
http://www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsq...glepaper.shtml
Old 07-26-2011, 05:27 PM

TonnieLoree, Thanks for the link to paper-pieced HST's.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
That Missouri Quilt method results in four HST's with exposed bias on all four edges. :roll:
So it you didn't starch the fabric squares into oblivion before sewing and cutting, and weren't gentle in the way you handled them, they are going to stretch. And end up being different sizes. And/or not square.
Bias edges, starch, stretch...the video said nothing about those things. Next time, I run the idea by the board first. Don't believe everything on those videos...lol.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:11 PM

All right. I have a confession. 3-4 quilts done before I realized that my 1/4 inch foot was a 1/4 inch and 3/8ths inch foot. I was using the 3/8ths inch part for making my seams. OOPS. Could that be the problem? Using the wrong foot?