Old 08-11-2011, 09:37 AM
LeslieFrost

Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz
Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?
Thanks for helping me think!
In WI, attaching your pre-made (made by you and ready to attach) and prepared binding by machine will run $.04 to $.06 per perimeter inch (perimeter - or inches around your quilt). Attaching it to the quilt is one step. Then folding over and sewing it down is another step - same ballpark price per perim inch. Hand binding (sewing down the folded finished edge AFTER you have paid to attach the binding to the quilt, runs $.15 to $.20 per perimeter inch. If the binding is done as part of finishing a quilt already on the longarm may cost less, but the hand work will be the same, I would imagine. I just hand sewed down a twin size quilt binding (no attach time, I used an oversize back turned to the front). It took about 6 hours total. It is labor intensive. That is why it costs more...but done well, it will last forever.
Thanks for the specific info!

I have two small quilts that will be ready for binding in a few days. I'm going to try to record the time I spend creating the binding, sewing to the front and then hand sewing to the back. Then, knowing the inches done, I'll have a better idea of how the cost vs time works out.