View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 AM
flowerjoy

Originally Posted by Krystyna
We live in Long Beach, NY which is a barrier beach island (sandbar) that is 7/10 of a mile wide at the widest point. At the moment it looks like we are going to take a direct hit. The city's emergency phone system called last night to advise us to begin to make evacuation plans while the television showed the county executive saying that mandatory evacuation is likely.

I am planning to take my computer and two of my machines with me as well as a project to sew by hand (haha) We are going to my sister's house and I'm sure she will not be extremely happy about all the extra stuff.

I am moving the best of my stash to the second floor which may or may not be a good idea depending on whether or not th roof blows off. . I have no illusions about our house being here when we return if we do, indeed, experience a direct hit. We live in a little cottage built in 1922.

I am, at the moment, feeling a little ill with nerves. Might not be a bad idea to zip over to my doctor to see if I can get a script for some xanax!

It will be what it will be. It's all in God's hands now.
Try to relax a bit if you can ... deep breathe. A hurricane is rated not only by the wind speed and barometric pressure but also by the damage it leaves. If it comes in as a category 1 the damage is not catastrophic... storm surge may be difficult but you can easily look this up online. If you move inland away from the shore you should be fine... listen to your local officials, do what is suggested and then relax with your quilting.