Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready for no power! >

Getting ready for no power!

Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:23 PM

I've been busy today, pressing, cutting, and getting a redwork quilt traced to work on during Irene.

Live in NJ, predictions are we may be without power for 3 - 5 days, can't bear the thought of not quilting. For sure I will go nuts in the house with just my DH and no power.

Other people are preparing for the hurricane, I'm preparing for boredom!

In all seriousness, I wish everyone in the path, minimum damage, no loss of life or property, and above all, safety!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
I've been busy today, pressing, cutting, and getting a redwork quilt traced to work on during Irene.

Live in NJ, predictions are we may be without power for 3 - 5 days, can't bear the thought of not quilting. For sure I will go nuts in the house with just my DH and no power.

In all seriousness, I wish everyone in the path, minimum damage, no loss of life or property, and above all, safety!
Are you down the shore? I live in NJ, near Cherry Hill. I haven't heard any dire news like that here.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt

Are you down the shore? I live in NJ, near Cherry Hill. I haven't heard any dire news like that here.
Morris County, Gov. Christie had a press conference today and this was his warning. Seems that the main power grid is very much in the projected path and there are concerns about a hit.We also have alot of large trees around here and they are always trouble with bringing down the lines.

Better to be prepared than not.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:30 PM

My folks live in Millville below the Sharp St. bridge if you know where that is. The dam that is there makes me nervous, even when it was originally built the engineer said it wasn't built to specs. If it goes, so do my folks and everybody I grew up with.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:37 PM

There are alot of low areas in Morris, Passaic County area, as well as Somerset County.

These areas have been flooded repeatedly this year from all the rain, can't imagine how the stress must be facing the hurricane.

There is talk about opening the dam in Pequannock now to minimize the effect later. Maybe that is what the officials are considering in Millville.

My prayers are with your folks.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:38 PM
np3
Power Poster

Here's hoping it won't get that bad. Good luck to all of you.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:41 PM

I'm in southeast PA north of Philadelphia. We are already saturated as we have had the wettest August ever - broke that record with today's downpours. I can just about guarantee we will loose power as the high winds bring trees down. They say it will be days or a week before power is restored because the area that will be hit is so large. They are also saying communication will be in jeporady & do not expect to reach out by cell phone.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:44 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

from the news I just watched-power will not be the biggest problem Jersey has. and NY and anything else in Irene's path. luck to all-if you cant head for higher ground- hunker down!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:45 PM

I'm sure all of you in the hurricane's path know how to prepare for having no power. Having lived decades along the Gulf Coast let me mention a few items in case some are new to these type of preparations. You will have to prepare meals with no electric stove, you can't use charcoal grills inside a house and your refrigeration will not last unless you have a generator. You may lose the food in your freezer - buy dry ice if you can. So plan meals that you don't cook or chill the ingredients. Without electricity your toilets probably won't flush. Save water to flush your toilets, plus water to wash hands and to drink. No lights, no fans. Make sure your first aid kit is well stocked and your prescriptions are all filled. Don't let anyone run out of their sense of humor. Keep your prayer channels open. You'll have a lot of togetherness, make it a wonderful time. A lot of people travel hundreds of miles to camp out to do the things you may end up doing for free in your own home. In case you have to leave your home make sure you have the important things- things that would so difficult to replace- like passports, deeds, bank books, IRS records, etc. Hurricanes come with floods and tornadoes, thieves and snakes everywhere. Leave your house as secure as you can. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:45 PM

Keep a couple candles handy. And stay safe!