Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready for no power! >

Getting ready for no power!

Getting ready for no power!

Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 AM

butterflywing..... please explain !!!!!

they still want to live at the shore AND not have floods AND not have to pay taxes. it doesn't work that way.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN KNOWING WHAT TAXES SHORE RESIDENTS DON'T WANT TO PAY...
do any of us want to pay more???

although I do imagine that there are some who find some excuse to not pay even their fair share !!!!...be it from hurricane or whatever. Taxes are taxes and will be here forever..

I DON'T FEEL THAT I PAY ANY MORE THAT ANY CITY FOLK.......
and perhaps less.....
AND I DO HAVE THE BEAUTY OF FRESH AIR.
I HAVE MORE THAN ONE FRIEND WHO IS FIGHTING THE REMAINS OF IRENE AND DO NOT LIVE AT THE SHORE.

You may call the governor, the politicians and the media, Drama Queens, and I will admit, I wondered about their urgency for evacuation in the beginning, but seeing what Irene left, I think now that they made the right call.

It is "better to be safe than sorry later".
Old 09-02-2011, 05:05 PM

no insult intended.

towns allow additional building of homes, tourist attractions and malls in order to reduce the taxes for existing homeowners. each time anything new is built, it reduces the amount of naked earth, sand, grass or trees available to absorb rainwater. any new paved area, such as parking lots or driveways create a new space that water runs off and where trees, which used to absorb water through their roots, no longer exist. a double whammy. of course everyone pays taxes and nobody wants to pay more taxes, but you have to balance what the price will be in a sensitive area like the shore. dh and i had a second home in cape may and we watched the expansion on the outskirts of town in both homes and stores, the tearing up of forested areas and the wash-out on the old roads. that was why we sold.
imo, it's not worth the few dollars per household that gets saved in taxes. that's the taxes part.

the paving takes place in every town, but it's devestating near the ocean or any other water. blaming a hurricane alone for what is also the fault of bad planning is self-deceptive. the ocean wants to advance and recede. laying asphalt in it's way and then being surprised when the ocean ruins it doesn't seem realistic. the same is true of boardwalks and breakwaters. again, in cape may they kept building breakwaters (rock piers) to hold the sand in place to hold down houses that were built on sand. what a joke! the water takes the sand where it wants the sand to go.
the ocean goes where the ocean wants to go. i don't think there will ever be a permanent way to confine it, especially now with the level of the oceans rising. and i don't think it should be confined since no one knows what the end result of that will be.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:17 PM

i still think that if people had exercised good judgement and followed the rules laid down for their safety there would not have been a total of 7 deaths. however in a state of over 8 million (i believe) that's a considerably low number. a lot of the devastation was caused by people thinking that they knew better then the authorities. i.e. don't turn on the lights. don't try to drive. go to high ground. stay in a shelter.

they couldn't have saved their homes, but they could have avoided injury.

and by not doing what they were supposed to do, they put others in harm's way to save them.

and to return to my original rant, all that pavement didn't help with the runoff and washouts. that's one reason you get swollen rivers and fallen trees.