Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready for no power! >

Getting ready for no power!

Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM

We have a generator that automatically kicks on. Living in the Western part of NJ, we loose power alot due to snow and ice. I have a set if cast iron pans we use on the grill to cook, keep bottled water on hand, & a hand can opener to open those beans!

The biggest problem is running the well, for toilet purposes!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:54 PM

I used to live in Martinsville, NJ... the Bound Brook area usually floods when there is a weather event like that. Good luck. Hope you all weather the storm without any damage or power outages.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:54 PM

will keep all of you in my prayers ~
Old 08-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
We have a generator that automatically kicks on. Living in the Western part of NJ, we loose power alot due to snow and ice. I have a set if cast iron pans we use on the grill to cook, keep bottled water on hand, & a hand can opener to open those beans!

The biggest problem is running the well, for toilet purposes!
Fill your tubs and washer, keep a bucket or coffee can handy, use this to flush. get hand sanitizer to limit water for hand washing.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

three days without power? wow.. I use oxygen 24 hours a day.. that is a lot of tanks..
and your food, what about flushing toilet? I could do without light. Have enough flash lights and lanterns.

But the kids and the electrionic games! parents and keeping phones charged! water.. is basic.

will be hoping this goes out to sea!!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:02 PM

We're near Princeton and Trenton. DH just checked out generator - all is good there. We have natural gas stove & grill so should be okay for cooking. DH is a firefighter and I'm a past president of the Ladies Aux. Already got the call to be at FH at 8AM on Sun. AM to cook for firefighters and any residents that need to shelter there as it is the local emergency shelter. Our property is very low-lying with a creek behind. Property floods on a good day. Just bought a new corded phone for downstairs today. They work without power. Will probably be at the grocery store tomorrow to pick up food for the weekend and beyond. We're out so frequently at meal time we don't necessarily keep a lot of food stocked. Worst case there will be food at the FH. Dogs will be the biggest concern getting them to go out in pouring rain. Had flooding from the creek - which normally is ankle deep - last year that the dogs could swim in the back yard! We're also very close to the Delaware River so who knows what will happen with that. Dad and Sibs are in CT so concerned about them as well. Bro is inland in NC so I think they'll just be getting rain.

Everyone keep safe.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 PM

I'm in Lincroft,Nj about 15 minutes from the beach. All the furniture is away. I am hoping to get a lot of quitting done this weekend. Sometimes it takes something like this for everyone to be together again.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:37 PM

Be safe. I wish you luck.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:37 PM

I'm in West Long Branch but teach at South. we will be getting everything away tomorrow. I am hoping it goes out to sea or at least tones down before it gets to us.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:39 PM

My sister heard this tip after the hurricanes in TX. Our other two sisters were in Houston and without power for quite some time. They were sure wishing they had thought of this super easy tip before.

Anyway, what you want to do is right now, before the hurricane, is to put lots of things like milk cartons, etc full of water into the freezer to freeze. Then take all the food in your freezer and put it in plastic bags, maybe big ziplocks or whatever. Then take all the bagged food and put it all together in heavy duty garbage bags. It may take several if you have an upright freezer, or a lot of stuff. You might even double bag it if it seems heavy.

I know this sounds silly, but both my sisters had to clean out very nasty freezers after the power had been out a week or two. I think the layers might keep things colder longer, but if it does thaw and goes bad, it will be so much easier to get rid of in the bags, rather then melted all over the inside of the freezer.

I think that after you get the stuff in the big garbage bags you would then pack the ice blocks around them. And maybe even some of the refrigerator stuff too. Dyr ice would be great to have too.

Hopefully this tip will not be needed. But I think the hassle of bagging it all up would be a small price to pay.