Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready for no power! >

Getting ready for no power!

Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
I'm sure all of you in the hurricane's path know how to prepare for having no power. Having lived decades along the Gulf Coast let me mention a few items in case some are new to these type of preparations. You will have to prepare meals with no electric stove, you can't use charcoal grills inside a house and your refrigeration will not last unless you have a generator. You may lose the food in your freezer - buy dry ice if you can. So plan meals that you don't cook or chill the ingredients. Without electricity your toilets probably won't flush. Save water to flush your toilets, plus water to wash hands and to drink. No lights, no fans. Make sure your first aid kit is well stocked and your prescriptions are all filled. Don't let anyone run out of their sense of humor. Keep your prayer channels open. You'll have a lot of togetherness, make it a wonderful time. A lot of people travel hundreds of miles to camp out to do the things you may end up doing for free in your own home. In case you have to leave your home make sure you have the important things- things that would so difficult to replace- like passports, deeds, bank books, IRS records, etc. Hurricanes come with floods and tornadoes, thieves and snakes everywhere. Leave your house as secure as you can. Good luck.
Just want to mention, don't put dry ice in fridges if they are plugged in. Some people down here did that, and it wasn't a good thing. Dry ice needs to be handled with extreme care,..wear gloves, don't touch! If you have deep freezes, fill coffee cans, any kind of containers that have lids and seal ALMOST to the top and stick them in there NOW. THey will help keep the food cold for quite a while if you leave the freezer closed. Been thru a few hurricanes.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:49 AM

Another suggestion - the first thing that always disappears off the shelves are D batteries. Go get the flashlights and other items that run on AA batteries, and stock up on those. Be sure to get extra bulbs for the flashlights. I have been buying the flashlights with the led lights in them. Walmart also sells those little personal fans that run on AA batteries. I can't tell you how they saved my life during Charlie. Check them out, usually in the hardware and sporting dept.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:15 AM

Living in Galveston, which is a barrier island about 50 miles south of Houston, during Ike, we learned a few things. First each Hurricane is different, so you can not always know for sure how it will act and the damage it can do unril it hits.

If you are near the coast don't take chances, evacuate. Do you remember seeing Bolivar Pennsula after Ike, very few houses left. The water is worse than the wind. Our neigbor has a natual gas generator that went under water in the middle of Ike, also the natual gas was cut off because of the danger of fires. We also did not have drinkable water for over a month and no water the first week or two. Our electricity was off for only a month, some a lot longer. Phones were a couple of months and internet a little longer, also mail was not delivered for about 2 i/2 months. This is a worse case senario but that is what you should prepare for, It probably won't be that bad, I hope for your sakes, but better prepared than not.

I would never stay here thru a hurricane. Houston had electriciy out all over and some took longer to get theirs on than we did. They also had a lot of trees down but not really the flooding and it had weakened some before getting inland. Please if you are close to the water, get out.

My prayers for all of you is to be safe.

Ps: If you evacuate take your pictures and things you can not replace. Everything else is just stuff.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM

Please be safe. My prayers are with all of you in the path of Irene. I was born in New Jersey but moved to Calif. when I was 6 yrs old. Still have relatives in NJ. Lots of them are very elderly. Have been busy calling and emailing sending my prayers. Good luck to all.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:39 AM

There is mandatoiry evacuation in Ocean City MD. Everything closed at midnight and all need to be out by 5 tonight. The foreign students who work there have been taken to various places and cots set up.I was there for a milder hurricane and it's no fun. Everything is rattling in the wind. You keep waiting to see if you need to evacuate. I sure didn't feel like going to a shelter. We'll go down after everything is over and check on things but I'm glad to be away froim the ocean for now.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 AM

well, we just took a ride down the ocean front...and some of the very large homes along that road, are already boarded up.

Their are wves but nothing really too high.....and there are lots of surfers doing their thing.

Our town is two miles long and they have just mandated evacuation for the seven most southern streets and they also mentioned mandatory evacuation for the northern most streets....
and I live right dang in the middle.....

I really hope that this does not happen.....we have had catagory 3 hurricanes hit the area and they are really putting a lot more into this one than previous ones.

We will just have to wait it out and see........
Old 08-26-2011, 11:06 AM

Good luck! It was a non event here but I did the same thing a few days ago before it started turning. Made sure I had plenty of hand things to work on. We had three one year and there were many people without power for weeks only to lose it again.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:07 AM

Clean and fill your bathtubs with water to use for flushing, washing dishes, and "spit baths" if needed. All the other suggestions are good, basic ones.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:14 AM

I heard that New York is releasing water from the dams, the Delaware is gonna flood, no doubt about it, it's already to the banks because of all the rain we just had. And with 5 to 10 inches, there's no doubt it's gonna be like Ivan all over again, I'll see if I can find some pics and scan them all in. Maybe I'll go dowin to Easton again (in the safe areas) and takes pics of what Irene did and show an Ivan/Irene side by side. But prayers and best of luck to all you on the shore.

on a side note, it's been an interesting week, first an earthquake, now a hurricane! One of my neighbors told my mom, "God is speaking, but the sinners aren't listening!" Me, all I have to say is "I'm hearing you loud and clear!"
Old 08-26-2011, 11:15 AM

We are keeping you in our prayers.