Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready for no power! >

Getting ready for no power!

Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:19 PM

Our well was hit a couple of months ago for the 2nd time. We were away and found out when we got home and there was no water after the holding tank ran out.Had to replace the pump. Both times we had someone come out within a day. So grateful.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:49 PM

LOL, I was going to go to the quilt shop today to buy fabric and my husband asked Why! No electric, no sewing, lolol...No lights, no sewing........Oh well, it won't last long, lolol..Good luck, I hope you and yours a safe Irene experience.

Originally Posted by gal288
I've been busy today, pressing, cutting, and getting a redwork quilt traced to work on during Irene.

Live in NJ, predictions are we may be without power for 3 - 5 days, can't bear the thought of not quilting. For sure I will go nuts in the house with just my DH and no power.

Other people are preparing for the hurricane, I'm preparing for boredom!

In all seriousness, I wish everyone in the path, minimum damage, no loss of life or property, and above all, safety!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by sweet
A battery operated fan and tv are helpful.
With all TV reception being digital off the air we have to use the converter box if the power and cable go out. An inverter and boat battery will help there.

I fill the clothes washer so I can use water from there. If I don't need it, just do laundry later!

piney
Old 08-26-2011, 02:23 PM

I've been busy today, pressing, cutting, and getting a redwork quilt traced to work on during Irene.

Live in NJ, predictions are we may be without power for 3 - 5 days, can't bear the thought of not quilting. For sure I will go nuts in the house with just my DH and no power.

In all seriousness, I wish everyone in the path, minimum damage, no loss of life or property, and above all, safety!
Peg, I have been praying also for everyone in "Irene's" path and pray that there is no loss of life and very little property damage. I live just outside of New Orleans and
know what hurricanes are like. For anyone who is planning on evacuating, be sure to take enough clothes and anything else you would normally need daily. When our family left New Orleans before "Katrina" struck, we took enough to last about three days. As it turned out, we were gone three weeks and had to buy extra personal things.

Take care and bless you and your family.

Lucy
Old 08-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Take care, bring in everything that could be a wind hurled
weapon, and bring out quilts to put over your freezers if they are full of food.
Ah! Another good reason to quilt!
I just finished putting up some grape jam and picked all the tomatoes that were ripe or almost ripe and am cooking them down now for sauce.
While I wish I had gotten the belt my treadle needs, we'll be at my sister's house and she was already a bit put off by my announcement that I was bringing m computer and two best sewing machines. "Where are you going to put them???" She is a darling, but I just don't know ... she plans to go to a seafood festival tomorrow. Huh?
I feel most badly for my son since he will be away from his girlfriend. What can you do? She was invited to come with us but she didn't want to leave her roommate and her pitbull. So she is going to her mother's house -- also right on the water.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 PM

I grew up on the gulf coast. My prayers are going up for all of you along Irene's path.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:07 PM

Krystana, God Bless you and your family and everyone affected by "Irene". Stay safe.

Lucy
Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 PM

This is when those old treadles and handcranks come in handy!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:45 PM

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´ ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥this heart prayer balloon for all the families along the Eastern coast of the US as they get ready for hurricane Irene!! God bless & keep them all safe!!! Please stay safe my dear friends , ~*♥♥*~
Old 08-26-2011, 04:36 PM

Good luck and God Bless to all in the path of Irene.

Stay safe.