Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Getting ready for no power! >
  • Getting ready for no power!

• Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:15 PM

I like the idea of putting water in the tub. I live outside of Philadelphia and expected to no power also. I spent the day bringing in all the out door chairs, pool toys. I am so out of shape. We have the water and food taken care of. I hope the power is not out for days.
    Old 08-26-2011, 06:16 PM

My dad lives down the shore. Lavallette. I have a feeling - as this floods with even a thunderstorm - that the shore is going to be basically under water. He is going to my aunt's house in Holmdel. Maybe just enough inland to avoid some of the problems but not many. Good luck to you all. And I hope by the time it gets to southern Maine where I am, old Irene is played out. Not looking all that likely.
    Old 08-26-2011, 06:39 PM

Prayers to all in this storm's path. Hoping each and every one of you comes through this safe.
    Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 PM

Getting ready here on L.I. Not in an evacuation zone but expect to lose power. Got my supplies in. Ice made. Bathtub will be filled tomorrow. We will finish bringing in the rest of the outdoor furniture tomorrow morning and then just see what happens. Last I heard, it was down to a Cat 1 and maybe it will only be tropical storm when it hits -- if we get real real lucky. I'll be checking the weather in about 10 minutes and see what's up.
    Old 08-26-2011, 07:08 PM

I've also got some hand quilting and crocheting ready to go. Books to read (yes, some quilting mags too), audio book for if/when it gets to dark to read by oil lamp light. got a regular land line phone in the kitchen and will be conserving energy on the cell phones once the power goes out.

My sister is in Brooklyn as well as one of my sons and another son is in New Jersey. We've made plans to keep in touch by texting instead of calling.

Good luck to everyone else dealing with this storm. BTW, my mom and grandmother's name was Irene. I've been singing "Goodnight Irene" but it doesn't seem to be putting this storm to sleep. Talk to you all soon.
    Old 08-26-2011, 07:39 PM

Your cell phones may not work if power is out and towers go down. Even though the eye of the storm skirts the coast, remember it's a big storm and the winds/rain/tornados/etc. will be miles inland away from the storm center. The winds will blow one direction (counterclock) on arrival, then winds die down some when the eye goes over, then the high winds return and change direction (clockwise) as the back of the storm passes over. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We've been through several hurricanes (live north of Houston) and understand what you will be facing.
    Old 08-26-2011, 08:28 PM
    Power Poster

Live in Boston Ma and am preparing to a certain degree but not panicking because sometimes the Meteorologists can be wrong on these ever changing storms
    Old 08-26-2011, 08:31 PM
    elm

Hope it is just a tropical storm, but even so still be careful. The winds from a tropical storm can still do a lot of damage. Be careful of downed power lines. Hope you don't get the storm surge that is being predicted.
    Originally Posted by Ginny B
    Getting ready here on L.I. Not in an evacuation zone but expect to lose power. Got my supplies in. Ice made. Bathtub will be filled tomorrow. We will finish bringing in the rest of the outdoor furniture tomorrow morning and then just see what happens. Last I heard, it was down to a Cat 1 and maybe it will only be tropical storm when it hits -- if we get real real lucky. I'll be checking the weather in about 10 minutes and see what's up.
    Old 08-26-2011, 08:31 PM
    elm

Hope it is just a tropical storm, but even so still be careful. The winds from a tropical storm can still do a lot of damage. Be careful of downed power lines. Hope you don't get the storm surge that is being predicted.
    Originally Posted by Ginny B
    Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
    This afternoon we rode past one home that was boarded up.and on the one board was written.....

Good Night, Irene........

I have been humming the song ever since......how many of you seniors remember that ditty???????
    There is a picture of it on one of the news places online. Makes me think of my precious younger cousin Irene who died of cancer about a year ago. People wrote in her book "Good Night Irene, goodnight." I remember the song well being sung on some of the entertainment shows in the 1950's on the old Zenith black and white TV. Ed Sullivan Show? With guest Perry Como? or Eddie Fisher or any of those old fabulous icons could have been guest singing that song.