View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 06:42 PM
auntpiggylpn

Originally Posted by AliKat
Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I am going to make a rag quilt (1st time!) using a cotton for the top and and flannel for the backing. I am also going to use the rag cutting die with my Accuquilt Go. I am planning on using another layer of flannel for the batting. So I will lay my backing flannel on my die with the other flannel in the middle and lay my top (cotton fabric) on top of that and cut them. Will this work? I thought it would be easier to sandwich them together on the die because it cuts the edges for the fraying and I would have each block already put together before I try to sew them.
I must have missed something here.

The one side - the top? - of the quilt only is ragged. The other side - the bottom - is not. The batting is cut smaller than either side of the quilt and doesn't get frayed.

Not sure why you would even want to consider cutting the batting ... or in this case the flannel you will be using as batting on your Accuquilt Go. Though, if you don't mind a lot of ragged edges: the top and the batting - together it could work.

I am too thrifty otherwise.

ali
I think you did miss something! I'm not using batting at all. I am using a layer of cotton fabric and 2 layers of flannel. All the layers are cut with the die and are ragged. I wanted to make sure I got lots of ragging because the cotton top fabric won't rag; that's why I chose to use 2 layers of flannel and NOT traditional batting.

Michigan fabric is 100% cotton
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248321[/ATTACH]

blue flannel layer (instead of batting) and then yellow flannel layer (back)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248322[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-248315.jpe   attachment-248316.jpe