View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 10:43 AM
pittsburgpam

I'll post some closeups when I can, my camera battery was low so I had to charge it.

I'm using a method that Klue told me about. Though she said to use non-woven, sewn in interfacing, I used muslin because that's what I had.

I cut a piece of muslin about 6" x 12" and then drew the template shapes for all the leaves on it, leaving at least a half inch between them for the seam allowances. I then put it right sides together with the blue fabric and sewed on the drawn lines (no seam allowance) with water soluble thread. Cut them out with a 1/4" or less seam allowance, cut a slit in the muslin and turned them right side out. Pressed them VERY well with a dry iron. When I'm ready to applique a piece I press it again with steam, some pieces I had to use a shot of spray from the iron. The thread disappears, peal off the muslin, and left with a perfectly turned under and pressed seam. This is an absolutely terrific way to do it. Perfect edges, no needle turning, no hand basting.

I did take pictures while I was doing the shapes but I think they are still in the camera.

For the vines I used two different sizes of pressing bars. I love those too as there are no loose edges to deal with and keep turned under nicely while hand sewing.