View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 12:01 PM
bearpaw

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I'll post some closeups when I can, my camera battery was low so I had to charge it.

I'm using a method that Klue told me about. Though she said to use non-woven, sewn in interfacing, I used muslin because that's what I had.

I cut a piece of muslin about 6" x 12" and then drew the template shapes for all the leaves on it, leaving at least a half inch between them for the seam allowances. I then put it right sides together with the blue fabric and sewed on the drawn lines (no seam allowance) with water soluble thread. Cut them out with a 1/4" or less seam allowance, cut a slit in the muslin and turned them right side out. Pressed them VERY well with a dry iron. When I'm ready to applique a piece I press it again with steam, some pieces I had to use a shot of spray from the iron. The thread disappears, peal off the muslin, and left with a perfectly turned under and pressed seam. This is an absolutely terrific way to do it. Perfect edges, no needle turning, no hand basting.

I did take pictures while I was doing the shapes but I think they are still in the camera.

For the vines I used two different sizes of pressing bars. I love those too as there are no loose edges to deal with and keep turned under nicely while hand sewing.
I've never heard of doing it this way, but it makes perfect sense! Brilliant!!

I've used fusible interfacing for machine applique and trimmed it away to about a 1/4 inch, but there was always a bit of interfacing showing after turning. What a great idea to use water soluble thread. Can't wait to try this!!! :D