View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Little RoO

Whilst I agree with most of the comments here...I also have to say with regards to children you have to be really careful what fabrics you use for clothing.
For my daughters textile exam she had to fire test a load of fabrics.....We spent an evening in the garden over a tub of cold water and set fire to them. I was absolutely shocked at the speed at which some fabrics burnt, literally seconds and they were up in horrendous flames....a child standing too close to a fire where a spark could spit and cause the garment to burn would not stand a chance in some fabrics........If I remember right this was why the warning was bought in in the first place because such incidents happened.
So common sense is a must....making garments for children where there may be flammables in the house, not just open fires but gas cookers, candles and cigarettes....you need to think carefully, because some of the cottons and flannels burn unbelievably quick.
In a quilt you would have time hopefully to throw it away from your body but getting a child out of pjyamas wouldn't be nearly so easy.
I may sound dramatic...but as a nurse I have seen horrific things and severe burns come top of the list.