View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 11:10 PM
MacThayer

I shop at the Las Vegas Jo-Ann Fabrics Store, and I haven't had such good encounters with their employees. I found them snippy and unwilling to answer questions, even basic ones like: "do the sewing needles fit all machines?" They didn't know, and that was at the desk that sold the Viking machines. And I didn't appreciate the comment about "Whenever I wanted to get rid of my Brother Sewing Machine and get a "real" sewing machine, I should come back and see them." The audacity, really! I was asking about needles for my Brother Sewing Machine, and she treated me like I was a piece of trash.

And the fabric cutting. They were downright put out with me for standing there and making sure I received a yard when I asked for a yard, and making them give me a little more when the end of the bolt was obviously so badly cut it would need to have material cut off to straighten it. So I said "fine, straighten it now, and then cut off a yard." I don't think they knew what I was talking about, so they gave me an extra few inches. And they were very put out when I asked to examine both sides of the fabric for flaws before they made the final cut, even though I asked very nicely and sweetly. I learned that from another post on this Quilting Board, when a fellow was in the middle of a project and found flaws in $18 a yard fabric. He hadn't checked it at the time it was cut, and since he'd pre-washed and further cut it, he couldn't return it. So now I check every bit of fabric I buy. But I do it nicely, sweetly even. I even go when the store is least likely to be busy. But at some stores, it doesn't seem to matter. Asking for any service out of the ordinary seems to make them crabby, and Jo-Ann's is at the top of that list. When I want to buy really nice fabric, and receive nice service, I go to a Quilting Store. Yes, it's more expensive, but also nice to be treated like a person.

Enough with the ranting. With the cost of fabric these days, you just can't be too careful!