View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Vanuatu Jill

Originally Posted by Marysewfun
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I miss the old fabric meters. They used those to run the fabric through and the needle on the dial showed how much fabric was being measured. When they got to the 'magic number', they pressed down and the meter put a big clip in the edge of the fabric, which they could then continue cutting all the way across. Unless they cut really crooked, you got what you paid for.

What ever happened to those things?
Absolutely, I had forgotten about those - but yes, they were great!!

They combined 2 Joann's stores into a large one in town and have a system for waiting on you - "take a number" - while I still think they need another person behind the counter, it was at least fair and you could continue shopping until they called your number over the PA. Another thing they had was a big automatic/electronic measuring and cutting machine for larger cuts of material - she was still learning to use it but it looked pretty neat!!

Marysewfun
My Joann's also has the take a number system - I like it - if I take and number and get distracted and my number is called and I am not ready yet, I simply give my number to someone else or just have what I gathered so far and get it cut. Sometimes I find more after, so I just start over and get two receipts. If I don't want to shop more, I enjoy chatting with others waiting.