Old 11-07-2011, 03:15 PM
valsma

Originally Posted by Quiltingthetownred View Post
At the age of 9 my parents were told by my arts and crafts teacher that it would be better for me and the world (!) that I would never ever hold a needle again. I heard that and I really believed I couldn't do anything with a needle.
At the age of 33 I got the greatest teacher in the world. Within one lesson I was quilting 20 stitches on an inch, upside counted. I do handapplique and my goal is to have a quilt juried in in Houston or Paducah.
Now who was not capable, the teacher or me?

Teaching is not something you can do easily. Especially children and beginners should be encouraged to try, to experiment. Your SIL should not walk, but run out of class. If these teachers are not professionals, why would she want to learn from them?

Have fun quilting!
Emphasize fun.
Anymart
Sounds like my sons art teacher in middle school. While his talent lies in drawing freehand, he was told he would never be an artist by a teacher. I could have punched that teacher. My son quit drawing for the longest time and doubted his ability. Finally he started drawing again and in high school they had a visiting cartoonist who worked for Disney visit his art class. He showed the man his drawings and the man told him he had a natural ability and with training he could become a cartoonist.
He kept up the practice and even though he didn't take any classes is now a tattoo artist who does a large amount of custom work for clients, including some portraits. His dream went from cartoonist to tattoo artist doing custom flash.
One thing I always heard and i'm sure in some instances agree with, "those who can do and those who can't teach."
Hope you get your dream of having your quilts juried where you would like to have them seen.