View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 07:27 PM
cw142d

Default New Shop Advice

Originally Posted by Ann L View Post
I think that is what I fear is that it wouldn't last. We have a great incentive here right now. there are three stores in down town that we could pick from, free rent for a year, $15,000 allowance for renovations and a $3000. advertizement allowance and also free advice on how to start up the business, etc. I think one would work here, I just wish I had the gumption to do it.
I love everyone's ideas. A late night a week is a good thing as I work as well. Free sewing time is good as well. There aren't many shops I go into that I don't spend some money, just have to after seeing all the beautiful fabrics.
Sorry your shop didn't make it.

Hello, Hopeful Quilt Shop Owner. I too have contemplated opening a shop. I have talked to several LQS and have found that if you love to sew/quilt, you will be able to give advice and helpful tips, just don't plan on doing any of your own quilting. I have also been told that with start up costs, I would not see a profit for at least 3 years by the time you consider rent, utilities, stock, etc. I couldn't justify a 72,000 dollar loss to my husband when that money could pay our mortgage off. Soooo....

Now I have a website: Quiltiques and Primitives. Mostly it is used for advertising quilt events, etc. I do not sell on-line as of yet. However, an option you may want to look into is having a "table" at a local quilt show. This way you can survey what the public needs are. Plus, you aren't paying out a lot for product. I do a few shows a year. Some are free, some are a couple hundred to set up at.

I also buy quilter's stashes. My niche is "lost fabric". This is fabric that a quilter needs to finish their project, but that line of fabric is no longer available. So in some cases I am more specialized. However, I don't have a huge amount of money in product.

Not to say I don't have product, currently I'm a little over 300 bolts of fabric, not to mention the scrap drawers, well over 500 quilt books, and 850 quilt magazines.

These are some things to consider. Also look up "Quilt Sampler" they survey 10 quilt shops an issue and I've gotten some great ideas while reading about their store and seeing their store's layout. I'm an idea bouncer, so if you need an ear, feel free to email: [email protected]

Good Luck with whatever you decide.