Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opening a Quilt Shop >

Opening a Quilt Shop

Opening a Quilt Shop

Old 12-20-2011, 03:38 PM

Default Opening a Quilt Shop

I have been approached this past week about opening a quilt shop here locally. We used to have one but it fell through do to a partnership issue and not because there was not a demand for the products.

Has anyone here opened one? Or know of good books or online resources about all the undertakings of such an adventure?

Also what makes you love a quilt shop? The choice in fabrics? Kits? Classes? Or is it somethine else? I already have a long arm quilting business so I would still offer these services as well.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:43 PM

I know that Stitchin' Heaven has a Quilt Owner's Boot Camp: http://www.stitchinheaven.com/bootcamp.asp . It sounds good to me and I would take it if I were considering a shop. I think she also offers a consulting service.

Good luck whatever your choice. It's tough starting a new business. I would also consider doing a survey on what people might like. I noticed that some stores carry a large variety of fabrics while others focus on only a few types. Do you have some good teachers in the area? How close is the nearest quilt store to your area?

Last edited by caspharm; 12-20-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:50 PM

Awwwww - darn it - I was so hoping you were in central Alabama! Aaaarrrgggghhhh! My nearest LQS is a good hour away! Sigh ...
Old 12-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Well, I for one, love a variety of things in a quilt shop and am lucky enough to live near a number of them. One of the things that I like the most about my two most local shops is that they know me there and they greet me by name. I think samples are the key to selling patterns and books so I like a shop that has lots of labeled samples made out of fabric they still have or similar to what they are selling. I do not like outrageous prices but I don't know how you would get around that in today's economy, especially with the new business start up costs.
I love that one of my shops has a free sit and sew on Sundays. Believe me, the purchases I make there during that time more than make up for the free aspect of it.
I wish you the best of luck! I love having local quilt shops around to tempt me!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:52 PM

The boot camp sounds like a great idea. A variety of fabrics, classes, notions, and books is what I look for.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM

I think friendliness makes a huge difference. There is a shop in my hometown, but I drive 40 miles away to one that I like much better. The people in my LQS are not friendly at all and make me feel very uncomfortable when I go in there to just look around. I have been laid off for a looooong time, so looking is all I can afford to do right now, but you can bet that I will spend my money in the welcoming one....when I get some to spend, teehee.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Friendliness, variety, and something I just can't put my finger on - but I will try to explain it. It is when you walk in the door and you feel comfortable , no pressure , like you are at a second home- you can't buy it - it has to be achieved . A store that has personality , maybe someone else here can help explain it better

As for learning the business do you have a local SCORE office check them out - they can be very helpful in setting up and running a small business. A quilt store is just a business so if you have a Long arm business you have a head start already - Good Luck
Old 12-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Banned

SCORE is a good place to start. It depends on how involved your longarm business is, as a mortar retail store is a lot more than a business in your home. City/state/federal laws, insurance, merchandising, and most important - location, locaiton, location... I've sent you a PM.

Good luck.
Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry
Old 12-20-2011, 04:24 PM

If we had a local quilt shop it would be:

A good selection of fabric.
A decent selection of notions
Patterns and books.
Classes
Friendly but not the fake type (you know what I mean)
good customer service
maybe a rewards program of sorts?
drawings for freebies
community involvement

There is nothing worse than asking a question and someone looking at you like your an idiot and talking down to you. That is why I love this board, everyone is so helpful!!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:26 PM

Good luck with this venture. You are already a quilter and a business woman so the rest is just using the skills you have to adapt to this new adventure. Good luck with this (smile).