Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opening a Quilt Shop >

Opening a Quilt Shop

Opening a Quilt Shop

Old 12-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

My favorite quilt shops have a wonderful atmosphere, first and foremost.
Second is a nice variety and plenty of middle scale and small prints.
It's easy to carry border prints, but the biggest part of a quilt, and where you'll make the most money is in the center!
Above all, though, if they are not friendly and genuine, I hardly ever go back.
Too many other choices for sourpusses, lol!
So, smile, smile, smile
Old 12-25-2011, 07:27 PM

Default New Shop Advice

Originally Posted by Ann L View Post
I think that is what I fear is that it wouldn't last. We have a great incentive here right now. there are three stores in down town that we could pick from, free rent for a year, $15,000 allowance for renovations and a $3000. advertizement allowance and also free advice on how to start up the business, etc. I think one would work here, I just wish I had the gumption to do it.
I love everyone's ideas. A late night a week is a good thing as I work as well. Free sewing time is good as well. There aren't many shops I go into that I don't spend some money, just have to after seeing all the beautiful fabrics.
Sorry your shop didn't make it.

Hello, Hopeful Quilt Shop Owner. I too have contemplated opening a shop. I have talked to several LQS and have found that if you love to sew/quilt, you will be able to give advice and helpful tips, just don't plan on doing any of your own quilting. I have also been told that with start up costs, I would not see a profit for at least 3 years by the time you consider rent, utilities, stock, etc. I couldn't justify a 72,000 dollar loss to my husband when that money could pay our mortgage off. Soooo....

Now I have a website: Quiltiques and Primitives. Mostly it is used for advertising quilt events, etc. I do not sell on-line as of yet. However, an option you may want to look into is having a "table" at a local quilt show. This way you can survey what the public needs are. Plus, you aren't paying out a lot for product. I do a few shows a year. Some are free, some are a couple hundred to set up at.

I also buy quilter's stashes. My niche is "lost fabric". This is fabric that a quilter needs to finish their project, but that line of fabric is no longer available. So in some cases I am more specialized. However, I don't have a huge amount of money in product.

Not to say I don't have product, currently I'm a little over 300 bolts of fabric, not to mention the scrap drawers, well over 500 quilt books, and 850 quilt magazines.

These are some things to consider. Also look up "Quilt Sampler" they survey 10 quilt shops an issue and I've gotten some great ideas while reading about their store and seeing their store's layout. I'm an idea bouncer, so if you need an ear, feel free to email: [email protected]

Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:39 PM

My brother owned a quilt shop. I assisted where I could. This is a difficult economy and fabric etc. is very expensive to get in bulk. Also, one thing that many people don't realize, you just can't say you want "XYZ" company's fabric in your store and it happens. Companies have different rules about setting up business, especially with a new company. Sometimes if a quilt store in an area is selling a certain brand, the company won't allow another store to sell it there. Many times newer stores may not be allowed to pay in checks because of bad checks issued by other stores. Generally quilt store owners need to go to "market" at the Houston International Quilt Festival, etc., and meet with the companies they want to do business with. Even if you do that, don't count on everything coming through. Company representatives you have appointments with may not show or may not want to do business with you.

There are many many other things involved behind the scenes. When you order fabrics, you really have no idea when you will get them. You may be given a time estimate, but that doesn't mean anything. Sometimes it seems they are growing the cotton for your order it is so slow.

Stores need to have a website that is easy to access and gives basic accurate information etc. You don't have to sell through the site in order for it to be good. You shouldn't sell on the site without getting with your tax attorney etc. to see how that will affect you financially on taxes you need to collect etc. Security on the website is another issue.

There are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes. Issues with classes, teachers, use of books and patterns etc. are all things that can get complicated.