Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opening a Quilt Shop >

Opening a Quilt Shop

Opening a Quilt Shop

Old 12-20-2011, 05:57 PM

I'm spending more time in my LQS because of club time. It's a Farmer's Wife Club the 2nd Sat. of each month. That's a 15-20 minute demonstration of a technique or some new ruler, show-off and talk time, then a deal of the month available only during that visit. I go in each month saying I won't buy anything, but the deal will be such a good one - I simply must! ($1.50 fat quarters - any that are in the shop, 30% off total purchase, etc)

Friendly helpful knowlegable, staff is a MUST. That homey feeling. "events" - sew ins, retreats sponsored (they are out of my price range, right now, but ... someday), mystery quilts, shop hops ... New lines, but a good sale shelf of old ones.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 PM

I agree with all the posters and would add carrying good thread. Thanks for this question because it made me think of all the reasons I love quilt shops.....especially how important it is to be greeted personally when you frequent a shop.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:44 PM

There's a wonderful small quilt shop in my area. It has beautiful fabrics but they are expensive. They have been in business for about a year and some of the fabric has sold well but some has been there since they opened. They have sales but not bargains. Great notions, patterns and books but once again pretty expensive. The staff is delightful but if they don't get new fabric in things become stale.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM

One thing to add to the value of prime location is enough parking. I despise walking blocks to get to the store with an arm load of quilts for LA, specially when it is raining! It will make a huge difference to foot traffic if your display window is filled with great quilts. It was the way I discovered my LQS. A good supply of notions/thread is wonderful. There is nothing more frustrating than discovering that you need a light aqua thread and knowing that it is either a 1 hour drive to large city/box store or an online order to get thread. Patience is not one of my better traits!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

Check our International Association of Professional Quilters. See if they have info you can use. She deals with the professional side of quilting. Also look at the offerings at Spring Quilt Market. they usually have lectures/classes for shop owners. Also Fab Shop Network.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:22 PM

Customer service and a smile, help when you need it, being left al orone when you just want to browse. I don't mind paying more if I am treated like a valued customer. We have NO quilt shops in Miami!! Also be sure to have on line ordering options
Old 12-20-2011, 07:44 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

My favorite quilt shop is an hour away. I have two local shops, but not where I like to shop. Recently, in the town with my favorite shop, someone else opened a shop and I snuck in and fell in love with all the fabric. Now, when I drive over to my favorite shop, I don't buy so much there anymore, I sneak into the other store and buy her fabric. My old shop still has fabric from a few years ago. I love my quilt shop owner and am very loyal, but the new shop's fabric is to die for. (And the second time I went in there, she called me by name...she must of read my debit card or heard my husband call my name the first time) And she's so helpful. I have a hard time picking out all the fabric for a quilt and she jumped right in and showed me what I could choose that would work well together!! Now I don't know which is my favorite shop anymore. My first shop gives me 15% off for driving so far. I kind of think she knows I'm cheating on her. She reminded me of the discount she gives me last time. Hummmm?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Power Poster

Good luck in your new adventure. To me, quilt shops need to be friendly and helpful. Someone like me doesn't always have a good eye for fabric so I like help. But on the flip side there are some modern fabrics that aren't not me so don't get pushy. Classes are great but there again price sometimes is an issue with the way the economy is. Having your long arm business will be a plus. Hope it all works out.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:28 PM

I think friendliness and excitement about what you are doing. I often feel out of place when I go into my local store...like I don't fit in cause I'm younger. I look for classes, I would love a wide back selection, but friendliness and an inclusive attitude would be most important.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:49 PM

Sharon b, I know what you are talking about, a feeling of welcomeness, is that a word? I also like a friendly environment, good selection, a feeling that they would really like to have you come back.

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
Friendliness, variety, and something I just can't put my finger on - but I will try to explain it. It is when you walk in the door and you feel comfortable , no pressure , like you are at a second home- you can't buy it - it has to be achieved . A store that has personality , maybe someone else here can help explain it better

As for learning the business do you have a local SCORE office check them out - they can be very helpful in setting up and running a small business. A quilt store is just a business so if you have a Long arm business you have a head start already - Good Luck