Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opening a Quilt Shop >

Opening a Quilt Shop

Opening a Quilt Shop

Old 12-21-2011, 04:27 AM

Have you worked in retail ? Dealt with the public in a retail setting?

Subscribe to Fab Shop News magazine for quilt shop specific advice. they've a website.

Make a detailed business plan. You will need one to secure financing and to qualify for any start up business grants etc. attend quilt market. Take classes. talk to wholesale companies to learn about how they qualify new buyers. It is expensive to buy inventory for a quilt shop.

Do lots of research on retail business and how to start one.
Sandy
Old 12-21-2011, 04:44 AM

Everyone has given great ideas. I also agree the most important factor is friendliness.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:50 AM

I agree with what everyone else has said. One thing I really hate is being followed around like I'm going to steal something. I know that one shop owner had a shoplifter but goodness, I'm a repeat customer and I hate the feeling of being watched.

We have a new shop in the works in a nearby town and she is going to rent time on a longarm and she just got a huge embroidery machine so she must be going to offer that service as well. If you go to finishingtouchesquiltingstudio.com you can see her website. The is also on Facebook. I'm sure she would be happy to talk to you about her experiences.
Good luck!

Suzy
Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 AM

Web site
Classes
Quality Inventory of fabric, patterns, books, notions, etc
Sit & Sew
Mens den
Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 AM

it starts with the fabric and ends with the customer service. know your clients and if you have a large number of younger mommies or grandmas who watch the grandkids have a small area to keep the kids occupied. I would love to have an area for my kids to be while i look around, I would also love to go in and not get dirty looks when i bring my kids with me.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
If we had a local quilt shop it would be:

A good selection of fabric.
A decent selection of notions
Patterns and books.
Classes
Friendly but not the fake type (you know what I mean)
good customer service
maybe a rewards program of sorts?
drawings for freebies
community involvement

There is nothing worse than asking a question and someone looking at you like your an idiot and talking down to you. That is why I love this board, everyone is so helpful!!
This says it all!!! Best of luck to you!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:07 AM

I think it's a combination of all those things, a good choice of fabric, kits and classes. Also a friendly and helpful staff, a shop that is clean and organized and a good website. My favorite shop also has a room that has sale items. She rotates her fabric and notions often, marks them down and puts them in an area in her back room. She has a color of the month and has that color at 20% of. It's just all those details that make you want to keep going back. Good luck
Old 12-21-2011, 06:20 AM

I agree with eveyones ideas....and of course you would put your own spin on them. But a good plan is most important. The SCORR idea is great...I think we have one here in town. You wouldnt be too far from me, so I would hop on down to see you often ! Best of success to you if you start a shop!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:27 AM

I too have a local quilt shop; boring-------They greet you when you enter and ask if you need help; then again are you sure I can't help you find something- the end ! They have a small amount of fabric and patterns; some samples hung with class schedules attached. I have asked for a certain notion(inexpensive) and they don't know what I'm talking about; I explain leave my number and they said they would look it up for me -- months ago. I called and ordered it myself online. I thought it might be something for the shop to sell on a regular basis; I'm not the only one who uses it.
I travel an hour to get to a Great Quilt shop ! They are friendly - whatcha makin -- its cold out-- did you have lunch already we're going to the deli want something. Seriously !! they are the nicest group I know in a shop ! There shop is a buzz with new patterns and fabrics. Carry a conisistent line of batiks, thirties, halloween, blenders, embroidery plus redwork supplies, pillows, tea towels, etc, etc. Weekly blurb on the computer; and Oh yes they have not only classes but retreats - yes for 3 and 4 days ! I can't do those but they sell out - and they have evening classes and serve dinner!
It is a very social happening place ! I can't participate in most of what they offer; but keep informed with the weekly newsletter that contain information about new products and fab lines and sometimes a contest that you answer online and can win a prize(pattern, supplies, fab- you never know!)Ok enough from me I wish you the best !
Old 12-21-2011, 07:04 AM

At least a corner where a non-quilting spouse/partner can go, have a cup of hot chocolate or tea, maybe watch tv. That may sound silly, but if you are traveling and stop in at a quilt shop, at least the spouse can be entertained while you shop and not feel so rushed. This contrubutes to a friendly atmosphere.