View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 07:39 PM
lyndarva

My brother owned a quilt shop. I assisted where I could. This is a difficult economy and fabric etc. is very expensive to get in bulk. Also, one thing that many people don't realize, you just can't say you want "XYZ" company's fabric in your store and it happens. Companies have different rules about setting up business, especially with a new company. Sometimes if a quilt store in an area is selling a certain brand, the company won't allow another store to sell it there. Many times newer stores may not be allowed to pay in checks because of bad checks issued by other stores. Generally quilt store owners need to go to "market" at the Houston International Quilt Festival, etc., and meet with the companies they want to do business with. Even if you do that, don't count on everything coming through. Company representatives you have appointments with may not show or may not want to do business with you.

There are many many other things involved behind the scenes. When you order fabrics, you really have no idea when you will get them. You may be given a time estimate, but that doesn't mean anything. Sometimes it seems they are growing the cotton for your order it is so slow.

Stores need to have a website that is easy to access and gives basic accurate information etc. You don't have to sell through the site in order for it to be good. You shouldn't sell on the site without getting with your tax attorney etc. to see how that will affect you financially on taxes you need to collect etc. Security on the website is another issue.

There are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes. Issues with classes, teachers, use of books and patterns etc. are all things that can get complicated.