View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 06:42 PM
lab fairy

I have sewn on several machines from the same manufacturer (different models) and have found that each machine has it's own quirks. Usually, most machines that are the same models are very similar. If you have a habit of sewing pins, warping the blade on your 1/4 inch foot, etc. all bets are off.

With my Pfaff, I prefer to use a 1/4 inch foot that has the blade on the left side for piecing (I have the one without the blade for paperpiecing). If you are wanting an accurate 1/4 seam you need to check your personal machine, foot AND how you sit at the machine. The easiest way is to cut two 3 1/2 x 6 1/2" inch pieces of fabric and stitch them together along the 6 1/2" length. Press. You should end up with a 6 1/2 square. If you don't you need to move your needle (right or left depends on final results).

My foot with the blade in the center is what most quilters call a "stitch in the ditch" foot (I actually use a knit edge foot because the blade is a little shorter and I like that better). I don't use it for piecing. I have been known to use it for applique and paperpiecing. It is also a great foot for topstitching in case you ever want to do anything like that.