Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Your 1/4" Foot

Blog Entries

Using Your 1/4" Foot

I have learned, the hard way, to start and finish your whole quilt using same machine when you use the 1/4" foot. Didn't know it would make that much difference, but it does. Maybe it is the mfg. I was using a Pfaff and a Brother machine. Has anybody else noticed the difference?
    Retired & enjoying life

Yes, even using a different model but same mfg. there can be a difference. Why is consistency so hard...lol.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I have heard of this also- that is why I always try to keep everything the same for the whole block ( if it is just one I need ) to the whole quilt top - Sorry you had these problems
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I did the same thing !!! I had to take in my Pfaff for a cleaning and used my Babylock to finish up. Drove me nuts that the seams didnt match.. Grrrrrrrr... I feel your pain....

Yes, and even buying a special 1/4" foot for my machine didn't make for an accurate 1/4" seam I still have to move the needle 2 clicks to the right which means I have to use the zigzag needleplate for straight stitching - this aggravates me because I'm not getting the best stitch quality as a would with straight stitch needleplate - aaargh!

It does seem strange. You would think that 1/4 inch was 1/4 inch, wouldn't you?

Dina

I use only one machine for piecing but I still check my 1/4" seam every time I start
    a new project. Each fabric is different. Easier to do the 3 strips test than do a lot
    of ripping.

Couldn't you just measure if it's 1/4 inch and then move your needle to that position?

Oh yeah. Always use the same machine for the same project. I, too, have learned the hard way.
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

Yes, it's true!! Ah, experience!!
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    I use only one machine for piecing but I still check my 1/4" seam every time I start
    a new project. Each fabric is different. Easier to do the 3 strips test than do a lot
    of ripping.
    Charlie DiSante

There is a definate difference in the 1/4 in. foot for my Janome and the one for my Bernina!!

dd
    I bought the quilt wizard foot and that is different from the 1/4" foot for my machine. Just not fair.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Power Poster
    Yes, it does happen and make sure to use the same ruler throughout a project too. It does make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Yes, it does happen and make sure to use the same ruler throughout a project too. It does make a difference.
    Long time ago I used 2 different machine and forgot which ruler I used ... made an 'interesting' charity quilt!

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    I did the same thing !!! I had to take in my Pfaff for a cleaning and used my Babylock to finish up. Drove me nuts that the seams didnt match.. Grrrrrrrr... I feel your pain....
    Ditto! Only mine was a Pfaff and a Viking.

It isn't always the 1/4 inche foot either, it can be the way the diff. machines feed the fabric different. I learned the hard way this Christmas and had to take out a lot of stitching because of changing machines. I knew better too, but was in a hurry. Never get in a hurry, goofs me up everytime.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Oh yeah , I have made that mistake. I did 1/2 of a top on one and 1/2 on another..... That is still in the UFO pile. Such a huge dissappointment. So sorry you joined the rest that learned the hard way.

Using a different ruler makes a difference too. I make sure to use the same brand if not the same ruler.

I calibrate my feet to make sure they are 1/4 inch. There are always slight differences between the way a machine feeds, etc. And not all rulers are created equal so you should stick with either the same ruler start to finish or the same brand. I also find prewashing fabric and pressing my seams is as important as everything else.

Same goes for using the same rule when you are measuring, If you chop and change you are asking for trouble.

Kind of interesting isn't it. I have also learned this rule about the machine but never thought about the ruler. Thanks ladies for that info.

seems like my mood can change how accurate my seams come out ):
    Patricia

ditto i learned the hard way too

I bought two quilt feet for my Pfaff 2144. One has the metal "thingey" on the right side to fit at the edge of the fabric, the other one has it in the center of the foot. Can't decide which one works better, they both drive me crazy. I just finished cutting out about 70 squares from a nice Bali Pop jelly roll. Using the instructions from Missouri Quilts for that nifty square that you cut into quarters. None of the squares measured the same because the jelly roll strips are not even. Especially in length which was the least of my problems. Each square was supposed to be 8.5" before cutting into quarters. Because of the itsy bitsy variance in the seams, I spent yesterday afternoon squaring every one of them up to 8", or I would not have been able to get 1/4" seams putting them together. So now my squares in the quilt will come down to 7.5" each, cut in quarters.

Bottom line: I want to slap Hoffman upside their heads for inconsistent strips, and Pfaff for the difference in the quilt feet. And me, for being so picky.

Just beginning a quilt with a friend, and facing this challenge up-front. Success is a must!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast