View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 07:54 AM
bstanbro

I only learned to quilt last summer. I'm glad that my teacher read an essay by Teri Christopherson from the back of one of her books. Teri talked about the "perfect quilt" and confessed to being a "fast and sloppy" quilter. Then she told the story of her daughter who has a rare developmental disability called Angelman Syndrome that is extremely debilitating. She compared the perfect quilt to the perfect child (always in the eye of the beholder). She said that if we are too hard on ourselves, we can become frustrated and even decide to give up on quilting. Ironically, that would be the thing that would prevent us from becoming "perfect" quilters.

I feel as if the essay set me free to quilt with joy rather than criticizing myself into giving up an occupation that I am finding to be extremely gratifying. I framed the essay and it hangs on the wall next to my sewing machine.

My quilts are far, far from perfect. But I'm having fun, and the recipients of my quilts (only my family so far) seem no less thanful to receive them even though they have many flaws.