View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 10:45 AM
MrsBoats

Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
Looks like a great machine. Janome bought out New Home some years back. I grew up with a New Home, and I have an older one now which I let my students learn on. It is not as new as yours. I don't know what you paid for it, but I'll bet you got a good deal for the machine. Keep it and use it. I'm sure you'll grow to love it.
I know about the *old* New Homes, but I didn't know they were in modern production, relatively speaking. It was definitely a find; I paid $25 for it. This may become my class machine, if we're doing something that requires more than the Featherweight I mostly use for classes. It's a lot newer than I generally like, but I like it!

Originally Posted by Bon-bon View Post
Do you usually buy a machine if you find it at a thrift store or yard sale? I tend to pass it by, as I all ready have 2 machines. Do I need another one?
Yes, frequently. I generally buy older/vintage machines; this one is the first with plastic parts that I've picked up in ages. My yes/no point is usually $20 or so, but I'll go over that for something like this (or the White I found a couple weeks ago, that will be a learning machine: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/white-t177913.html).

For starters, I work for the local Old Sewing Machine Guy, so I'm always on the lookout for parts or refurb machines, so most go to him. Some I'll clean up and keep, then pass on to other people, typically people who are just getting started and need a decent beginner's machine (which may be this one's fate). A few get sold, like my last 15 clone. Some I keep because I like, although I have a fairly strict 'one in, one out' policy, which means if I keep this one, something else has to go. Everything (except the ugly brown Kenmore) that gets kept has to be used-that's my personal rule that keeps me (mostly!) from keeping things just because.

It's a fairly cheap hobby-certainly cheaper than my fabric habit! Passing them on to whoever lets me indulge-I get to pet to the nice machines, get them purring, then pass my sewing addiction on to someone else, along with the machine.