Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my thrift shop find

my thrift shop find

I posted about this one in the Vintage forum (http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t179815.html), but was advised that since this is newer, I might find more info here.

Here's the C&P:
    This is my newest thrift store find-a New Home/Janome MyExcel 15S. It's pretty pristine; it has a pink bobbin in it, but if it's been used much I'll eat that bobbin. The motor purrs along quietly and it sews a nice stitch. Under the flip-top it's got a pocket for a needle pack, and slots for feet (but no feet), plus the spool pin, etc. It looks kind of like the Janomes I see in class once in awhile, although this one is mechanical and not computerized.

Does anybody know *anything* about this machine? I spent all of last night googling and found nothing but a few manuals (I'm about to go dl one-it took me three tries to thread it correctly) and generic spare parts. It's mentioned in passing in a few places, but nothing about the machine itself. (An aside: I didn't know New Home was still producing sewing machines!)

My only real question is how old is it? I'm guessing 15~ years, but that's a WAG on my part. I'd be grateful for any other information out there-I've never met a machine as new as this one, with as little findable info!
    Attached Images Attached Images

-Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

Blog Entries
    The only thing I know is that she is A BEAUTIFUL girl. Hope you get lot's of help. Congratulations!!!
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

I have never seen one like that. You were so lucky to find one in such good condition.

To my knowledge Janome took over the name New Home. Do you have a Janome dealer you could call and ask some questions? I had a New Home in the late 80's early 90's and loved it. It was not as fancy as the one you have but it ran great. Good find.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Blog Entries
    Looks brand spankin' new. Great find!

Blog Entries
    sweet!!!!!!!!! enjoy it

Looks like a dandy to me!

Here's a link to some of the parts: http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ You can probably use a lot of the Janome parts. There is one foot at the bottom. Check with your Janome, Elna, Kenmore dealer for more feet.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    this was late 80'
    s to early 90's and you should find more info at a Janome dealer who has been in business that long! They were not on the open market, but I believe only sold through stores like Sears. It should take generic Janome/Kenmore parts. Wish we lived close by so I could test it for you. I have an older janome gem silver that is much like this! It takes all generic kenmore/janome feet/bobbins!

Blog Entries
    Pretty machine, good luck with it.

Blog Entries
    enjoy your machine
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Blog Entries
    I found this video on youtube, perhaps it might help you thread it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsAKxI79BS0
    MzzzQuilts aka Ellen

JT
    I just googled "new home my excel 15S" , and got this, plus a few more. There's info out there. Good luck & congrats!

http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...15_Service.htm
    JT

Beautiful machine, maybe try to find a Janome web site ??

That's my backup machine!!!! I take it to guild classes. I had a new singer that my mother gave me after college in 1980. I struggled with that crappy piece of @#$, and finally took a hammer to it. Then I went to my local dealer around 1992, and he recommended this machine--took my singer on trade, said he'd use it for parts, but I'm sure he hauled it straight to the dumpster. Paid around $350 for it then. I still like it, nothing fancy, but works fine.

Fantastic find! Gotta love it...
    Some things have to be believed to be seen. -Ralph Hodgson-

Lucky Girls!!! You found each other!!!
    Dee

Today is the day the Lord has made..Let us be glad and rejoice in it!!

my friend had a Kenmore that looked exactly like this and it used the same snap-on feet as my janome. Sears sells those same snap on feet. Try them

Great find!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    this was late 80'
    s to early 90's and you should find more info at a Janome dealer who has been in business that long! They were not on the open market, but I believe only sold through stores like Sears. It should take generic Janome/Kenmore parts. Wish we lived close by so I could test it for you. I have an older janome gem silver that is much like this! It takes all generic kenmore/janome feet/bobbins!
    Good to know! I may even have some stray feet in my extras box; I'll have to check. I wasn't too far off on guessing the date, either. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mzzzquilts View Post
    I found this video on youtube, perhaps it might help you thread it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsAKxI79BS0
    Yup. That's how I finally got it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by SmickChick View Post
    That's my backup machine!!!! I take it to guild classes. I had a new singer that my mother gave me after college in 1980. I struggled with that crappy piece of @#$, and finally took a hammer to it. Then I went to my local dealer around 1992, and he recommended this machine--took my singer on trade, said he'd use it for parts, but I'm sure he hauled it straight to the dumpster. Paid around $350 for it then. I still like it, nothing fancy, but works fine.
    I knew *somebody* out there had to have one! Nice to know yours is still chugging along-this one seems to be too. I'm still debating whether or not to keep it (Yes! It's a nice machine! No! You've already got two backups, how many do you need?) but I'll think of something eventually. today I'll make a 10-minute table runner on it for a shakedown cruise, see how that goes.
    -Karen

fantastic find , your lucky day
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

This looks exactly like the Kenmore my friend owns. It uses Janome or Sears/Kenmore feet. Try Sears for accessories,

Blog Entries
    Looks like a great machine. Janome bought out New Home some years back. I grew up with a New Home, and I have an older one now which I let my students learn on. It is not as new as yours. I don't know what you paid for it, but I'll bet you got a good deal for the machine. Keep it and use it. I'm sure you'll grow to love it.

Blog Entries
    I might add my old New Home also shares feet with my new Brother CS6000i, so if you have a Brother you might try it.

Do you usually buy a machine if you find it at a thrift store or yard sale? I tend to pass it by, as I all ready have 2 machines. Do I need another one?
    Bonnie C.
    Mulemom,
    CNY

Quote Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
    Looks like a great machine. Janome bought out New Home some years back. I grew up with a New Home, and I have an older one now which I let my students learn on. It is not as new as yours. I don't know what you paid for it, but I'll bet you got a good deal for the machine. Keep it and use it. I'm sure you'll grow to love it.
    I know about the *old* New Homes, but I didn't know they were in modern production, relatively speaking. It was definitely a find; I paid $25 for it. This may become my class machine, if we're doing something that requires more than the Featherweight I mostly use for classes. It's a lot newer than I generally like, but I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bon-bon View Post
    Do you usually buy a machine if you find it at a thrift store or yard sale? I tend to pass it by, as I all ready have 2 machines. Do I need another one?
    Yes, frequently. I generally buy older/vintage machines; this one is the first with plastic parts that I've picked up in ages. My yes/no point is usually $20 or so, but I'll go over that for something like this (or the White I found a couple weeks ago, that will be a learning machine: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/white-t177913.html).

For starters, I work for the local Old Sewing Machine Guy, so I'm always on the lookout for parts or refurb machines, so most go to him. Some I'll clean up and keep, then pass on to other people, typically people who are just getting started and need a decent beginner's machine (which may be this one's fate). A few get sold, like my last 15 clone. Some I keep because I like, although I have a fairly strict 'one in, one out' policy, which means if I keep this one, something else has to go. Everything (except the ugly brown Kenmore) that gets kept has to be used-that's my personal rule that keeps me (mostly!) from keeping things just because.

It's a fairly cheap hobby-certainly cheaper than my fabric habit! Passing them on to whoever lets me indulge-I get to pet to the nice machines, get them purring, then pass my sewing addiction on to someone else, along with the machine.
    -Karen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast