View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 07:35 AM
MdmSew'n'Sew

I was unhappy when the only Hancock's within reasonable distance (1&1/2 hours away) closed a few years ago. But reading this, I think I would be even more unhappy if I drove all that distance to find the selection and quality had plummeted. It used to be there were plenty of fabric shops, SoFro, House of Fabrics, etc., they have all been swallowed up by JoAnn's, so no competition, no need to make your store stand out as something special in your own way if you're the only store around.

Basic greed and gluttony has made healthy competition a thing of the past, so we don't have a lot of choices, just mediocre mega chains - another reason for me to shop my LQS - at least they listen to what we want and work hard to get the best quality fabrics. I'm lucky there are so many LQSs within an hour's drive from home, they each specialize in different fabrics, everything from Daiwabo to Asians to Batiks - they get the bulk of my money, I only hit JoAnn's for rulers, etc. I can't find at the LQSs, and only if I have a coupon. I'll take quality over quantity any time.