Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hancock's Fabrics ...

Hancock's Fabrics ...

Has anyone else noticed that the fabrics at their local Hancock's has gone downhill. I was there last week (big sale) and their cottons looked and felt more like homespun than a good quality soft cotton. The finishes on most of them were dull and hard and the weave was not tight. I also notice that their "batiks" were printed instead of dyed through. Is it my imagination or are they not carrying as many good quality fabrics?
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

The Hancocks stores in Western Oregon closed several years ago but at that time I felt the quality was not as good as they had previously carried.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I stopped going to our Hancock's (for fabric) months ago after getting some really poor quality fabric on two occasions. I still buy notions there but won't even consider their fabric.

Blog Entries
    assessment of quality is often subjective.

i think it's fair to say that the "quality" of nearly all lines of fabric has changed radically in the past few years.

it may be that Hancock's is doing their best to provide the best fabrics their buyers can find within the price ranges they know their customers expect. (that's a guess on my part, but seems a logical possibility.)
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

I also have an eddres you can use if you need to contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community: [email protected]

Was just in a Hancock's yesterday and the fabrics seemed okay to me. At least the ones I touched and the remnant I bought. But then again, I quilt for my own pleasure and as long as fabric doesn't disintegrate in my hands, or bleed dye all over the place, then it works for me.

I was in Fabricland last week, checking out their 50% off quilting fabric. I found that they put the price up to $22/M and then took 50% off, also their Steam-a-seam2 (narrow) was priced at $12.99/M and I can buy it at my LQS regular price $7.99.

Our local hancocks is alright, like everything you got to check the quality of the fabric. I have noticed hancocks doesn't seem to have as much items in the store it seems.

Our local Hancocks last year moved to a new location. Now it is so bright and greatly improved. They added a lot of other items (most of which I am not interested in, but that is OK). The clerks are nice, friendly and helpful. I buy a lot from them and can usually find what I need.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Just like everywhere all the shops and box stores are carrying all sorts- the quality, the not so quality, the high price and the low price - so you have the more expensive fabrics all the way down to a more budget conscience type fabric.. its everywhere...

The Hancocks that I used to go to (Champaign, IL) was very good, but the one closest to me now (I'm near St. Louis, MO) is really not so good. I feel bad for the employees, as the store just has a dirty, tired air when you walk in.

A Hancock employee told me that since Hancock changed ownership they have no say about what is sold at the shop and they can't even change the quantity ordered. They are frustrated because they had a huge amount of quilters for customers and now can't order the amounts they know they need for them. The inventory is computerized and when the amount of an item get's below the pre-set minimum, that item automatically goes on the order at the pre-set amount. It's very frustrating to the employees at the shop most who are very good at serving us. They have very few blender fabrics and often run out of high demand items that quilters use. Not ever enough batting unless you get in there the day the order comes in. I needed 3yds of 108" wide white muslim for the backing of a quilt awhile ago and I went to the shop 3 wks in a row and they had the same 1.3 yds on the roll. I expressed my frustration to the guy waiting on me and he at first said the same thing I'd been hearing, "it should be in on the next order". When I said it's been 3 wks he checked the inventory in the computer and it was incorrect...it said 8yds and apparently that wasn't low enough to trigger an order to be sent.

As for the quality, they don't carry as much good fabric as before but I still find some there, it's just not often the color or pattern I'm looking for. I find myself looking for trusted brands at my LQS, Hobby Lobby(Northcott) and online shops more and more.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

Blog Entries
    Our Hancock's has mostly unimpressive quilt fabric in the last few years. They have a huge fleece section, year-round and glittery "belly-dancer" fabric. Very little clothing construction fabric and cheap furniture.... I only go for the patterns/notion sales....And almost the entire staff are the grumpiest folks on the planet....

There are several Hancock's in my area and I check them out occasionally.
    My complaint is the variety and range is so limited. They seem to have less than they used to.
    Sometimes the quality is good, but it has never been up to the specialty fabric stores also in the area.
    Just depends on what I can afford.
    The quilt shops in the area do not carry calicos so I end up going to Hancock's for those.
    Batiks and funky fabrics abound but sometimes I don't want that.
    What also worries me is everything is ALWAYS on sale. Why? It means they don't have enough buyers/business needs to be drummed up and they might be going away completely!

I find a mixture of nice quality and poor quality in Hancocks. Same for JoAnn's. I have to inspect and feel any prints I am interested in and often a really cool print goes back on the shelf because it doesn't feel right.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    I was unhappy when the only Hancock's within reasonable distance (1&1/2 hours away) closed a few years ago. But reading this, I think I would be even more unhappy if I drove all that distance to find the selection and quality had plummeted. It used to be there were plenty of fabric shops, SoFro, House of Fabrics, etc., they have all been swallowed up by JoAnn's, so no competition, no need to make your store stand out as something special in your own way if you're the only store around.

Basic greed and gluttony has made healthy competition a thing of the past, so we don't have a lot of choices, just mediocre mega chains - another reason for me to shop my LQS - at least they listen to what we want and work hard to get the best quality fabrics. I'm lucky there are so many LQSs within an hour's drive from home, they each specialize in different fabrics, everything from Daiwabo to Asians to Batiks - they get the bulk of my money, I only hit JoAnn's for rulers, etc. I can't find at the LQSs, and only if I have a coupon. I'll take quality over quantity any time.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

You do have to check the fabric carefully. I agree there is WAY too much fleece.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvie45 View Post
    I was in Fabricland last week, checking out their 50% off quilting fabric. I found that they put the price up to $22/M and then took 50% off, also their Steam-a-seam2 (narrow) was priced at $12.99/M and I can buy it at my LQS regular price $7.99.
    I've seen this very same thing done at a JoAnnes store in the past yr.

Blog Entries
    I get my fabric at Handcocks OF PADUCAH, which is nothing like Hancocks the chain stores, there is only ONE Handcocks of Paducah and their fabric is great, high quality!! Any one who comes to the quilt show in Paducah and has shopped at our Paducah, Hancocks of Paducah, will know what I mean, great fabrics great service, and have yet to meet one grump working there! Not related to the chain stores at all!!
    dare to dream

I agree, the fabric at my local Hancocks has gone way down hill the last couple of years. I used to think Hancocks was better than Hobby Lobby, but now Hobby Lobby is in second place to my local quilt shop. I use the quilt shop whenever I can.

I have not been to a Hancock store in almost 2 years. First the service was horrible, then the fabrics were worse than the service. AND that was a hard thing for them to accomplish.

I placed one on line order to Hancocks, based on reputation alone, and was bitterly disappointed. I couldn't return it because it was on sale. The colors bled so badly that the fabric was almost unrecognizable after I washed it in warm water (100 degrees F.) and small amount of vinegar. I don't dare use this in anything permanent because it won't stop bleeding. So now all of it is in my "practice fabric" bin. Pretty expensive practice fabric considering I could pick up loads of cheap stuff at the local thrift shops! I've never bought from them again.
    MacThayer

I was there last week and bought some good kona solids on sale , however I bought a print to back a quilt I am making for my DGD when I got home I noticed how bad the weave was. The print is so perfect for the top that I will use it anyway, however I will be careful to look closer next time I buy from them.

I always go to the Tidewater Hancock Fabrics store in Va Beach when I am there....so no I haven't noticed. Here in Lynchburg, there is only a Joann's and most of the time the fabric there is the ugliest stuff I've ever seen. I can only wish there was a Hancock Fabrics up here! I do have the option of 3 LQS here though so that helps.
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

I went to a Hancocks years ago and was cheated a lot. I haven't been around any of their stores again. They only get one chance to cheat me. I now have all the fabrics I need to last several life times and don't plan on buying anymore from anyone.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

What pattern is your avatar? It really looks nice. Would love to see a larger one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast