Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hancock's Fabrics ... >

Hancock's Fabrics ...

Hancock's Fabrics ...

Old 03-26-2012, 05:47 PM

I bought some nice quilt fabrics at Hancock Fabrics last weekend. They were having the novelty prints on sale, so I got some for the charity quilts I make.
The cheaper fabrics aren't anything I'd bring home, not even for charity quilts; I want them to have good quality fabrics so they last.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:51 PM

I have found that the selection and quality of the fabric varies from store to store. You just have to check it out and touch, fondle and pet each piece.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:37 PM

I'll take Hancock's any day over Jo Ann's. I agree that now a days you need to check the quality no matter where you go. I think Hancocks gives better customer service. The Hancocks on Lindbergh and Big Bend in St. Louis is pretty good, so khurtdvm you might try that store
Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 PM

I agree, the one I did go to has really gone down hill. I find I am shopping on-line more and more.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 PM

I find the Hancocks around here (there are 3) are a really mixed bag. Some nice quality quilt fabrics & some lessor stuff. You have to check and feel carefully. I do find they always seem to have an outstanding selection of fleece - must be a Seattle thing.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 AM

[QUOTE=beatys9;509335I do find they always seem to have an outstanding selection of fleece - must be a Seattle thing.[/QUOTE]

Nope, not just a Seattle thing! LOL Our local Hancocks usually has at least 2 large tables of fleece. thin to very thick...and here(MS), it is already 80 plus degree. Also, our store is at least 1/2 full of decorative items like furniture and lamps. They even have a display of "As Seen on TV" items!! Most of the rest is Notions except the quilting notions section is slim and doesn't seem to get restocked as often as other areas. Unfortunately, we only have choices of Hancocks, Hobby Lobby and now Joanne's. Customer service is spotty...some ladies are very knowledgeable and helpful and a couple of others are not so helpful. Most of the sales staff have been with them forever.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 AM

I work at a HF in Woodbury, MN and would like to comment on a few things but first just to put it out there - I am a huge supporter of the lqs and always purchase something from them when I visit one. I would not hesitate to direct a customer to a few nearby if we don't stock the item that the customer needs.

As far as fabric vs. quality vs. prices I truly feel that Hancock has a superior grade of cotton (overall) for the price. They do also carry two fabric lines that are of lqs quality. I personally do not feel at our store there are too many low quality fabrics.

Batiks - looked at them just today. The batiks that they sell are truly batiks. There are some other fabrics with a "wild-type" print that is stocked in the same area. They do not say "batik" on the end of the bolt and they are printed fabric.

Blender prints - as I too want more blenders, I have seen more come in the past few weeks. It is mostly stocked with the absolutely cottons and their are some M'liss blenders.

Returns - HF has a fabulous return policy. The person who's return was rejectred should call the district manager. HF has changed policies in the past year and really amped up their customer service. There should be no room for complaints as far as customer service is concerned. It's not allowed.

I feel we all shop at where we are most comfortable and for some of us - what we can afford.