Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Monroe

Moonshineiws- String quilting is a very old thrifty method of using every last bit and strip of fabric by sewing pieces together and to a backing piece of paper or fabric to stabilize and strengthen them. If you google String Quilting you'll come up with many wonderful quilts, clothes, and accessories. They can be planned color schemes or scrappy. Bonnie Hunter has written books about using men's shirts and thrifty scraps, and has a blog and Yahoo group called Heartstrings for making donation quilts. A few years ago folks started using used dryer sheets as free stabilizer that smelled pretty, but even when washed the used dryer sheets can retain chemicals and fragrances that might be a problem for some folks, even when you can't smell them. It's not just the perfumes- detergents and unwashed fabric can be a problem also. Washing quilts several times should remove the dryer sheet and other chemicals from the surface, but it is more of an issue when the dryer sheets are used Inside the quilt- as backing for applique or string quilting. To avoid allergy problems it is better not to recycle used dryer sheets in quilts, esp if they are for gifts or donation. There are many good ideas from contributors to this thread for using paper, other fabrics, and fabric stabilizer for little to no cost. String quilting is fun, and a great way to use up every last bit of that expensive fabric you paid for. I like the bedskirt idea- will have to keep an eye out for a good one. I've been recycling pretty pillowcases into dresses for Little Dresses for Africa at my sister's church, teaching others to sew. I come from a big family with very little money, and Mom made almost all the clothes for the 4 girls. Scraps went to my Great Aunt for hand pieced and treadled Bow Tie quilts.
I started this thread to caution about quilting with used dryer sheets to pass along information, and appreciate all the input. This Group is great for collaborating!