View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 04:53 PM
QuiltingKrazy

I grew up on my mom's Bernina model 817! I started sewing my Barbie doll clothes about 7, then I started making my own clothes. I have made my daughters clothes all on the same Bernina. When I started quilting I finally got the bug for a new machine that would do more than just basic stitches. I research several brands and truely thought I wanted a new Bernina. Well $$ was not enough to get a really great quilt machine. I started looking at different brands. I finally bought a Janome 6500 and I love it.

What you really need to do is write a list of things you want and need in a new sewing machine to suit your sewing needs. Then go and actually try out and sew on different machines. A test drive so to speak. You can "feel" a difference in each machine in sound and quality. Being a quilter I knew I wanted more room in the throat area for quilts. The Bernina I thought I wanted and could afford only had six inches! same amount as what I was sewing on. So that was out. I looked at several used machines that people had traded in for a new model. That way you get more machine for less money.

If you are a true seamtress, you may want to spend a bit more to get a better machine. Some on the $200/$300 models may not meet your expectations. Check out local sewing center and quilt shops that sell machines, and go take your test drives! Take you list of must haves, like self threader, arm for sewing sleeves, how well it does buttonholes etc. Good luck, take your time in making this decision!