View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 04:38 AM
Snooks

Originally Posted by happinessbears View Post
Well, Im a newbie to the quilting board so please be lenient with me! So, I am in the market for a new sewing machine! What I've had before are two horrible singer machines, one which i could return, the other which i could not (stupid thing!). This time, I actually did some research and have found out more about other sewing machine brands. I'm currently looking at Bernina, Janome, and Juki sewing machines (I've decided to relieve myself of singer once and for all). I know they are all very awesome and reliable brands, but price REALLY matters here! I'm getting this as a birthday present from my grandparents (they pay half) and i pay the rest, but I'm turning 14 so I can't really afford anything!! So tell me first, which brand is better? And is the Bernina really worth it? even if I get a bernina, it'll be either one of the bernettes (which aren't even made by them) or a used bernina..... So yea... And also, I sew ALOT and make my own clothes and stuff and I want a very reliable sewing machine, something I could put my life on lol. I personally want a bernina I guess, but my parents will say no (I'm sure of it) even if it will pay off in the long run. My grandma also owns an $800 janome which she swears by... Did I mention that the price range that my grandparents put down originally was $300 - $400? But thankfully my grandmother has been on my side this whole time (my dad and mom not) So please, help me!
Hi Happiness,
Welcome to the QB. You are asking the age old question, we have ALL asked before when any of us are looking for change. So "TEST DRIVE, TEST DRIVE, TEST DRIVE" as many different machines as you can. When you go in to "Test Drive" a machine do not rush and try not to let any one else rush you (I know that can be hard when parents, etc.. have to drive you). Also take a long something (small), you are working on - ie:a quilt block. If you do a block on each machine you test you will be able to see how they work and if you like the feel of the machines (remember ALL machines will feel different even if you tested the same machine in different stores, but you will still be able to see and feel what you like and don't like). Next thing is to remember to ask about servicing charges on EACH machine. Vikings are a good machine (but $$ on servicing can be a bit much - even the older ones non-computerized), this is in part due to the self oiling parts inside. If they are not used a lot (even when it is kept covered), the oil inside get HARD like a rock. The other thing to keep in mind is any time you take a machine in that has ALL of the cool stitches you will pay more for servicing (I'm not sure about your area but in my area with out a coupon the lowest for servicing my Pfaff starts out at $130.00 and goes up depending on what it is in for - broken needle last year was $197.00 due to being computerized). And you also want to know what the turn around time is and who you know that has taken a machine in to be repaired by that person. Some people are better with some machines than others. Went to a Pfaff dealer to repair my machine (was told he was great), it took me weeks of going in about once a week to get him to get it correct. I know SINGER is not the machines they used to be (very sad), but maybe a FW. They sew and sew and sew. The other thought is if you don't have to get it this minute, go to the big sewing show in your are - all the dealers show up with all of the machines (new), but you can pick up a show machine at a used price. I know a friend did this (she could not pick it up until the last day of the show, but she saved big). Good luck!