View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by mummadee View Post
I faced the same dilemma, Janome or Bernina and went with the Janome. Never been sorry, except that a dealer is 45 minutes away. I would have considered a Viking if that dealer had been available at that time. A good dealer is a very important asset. I have a Viking serger and am always at the dealer asking questions and having problems solved. But I sure do love my Janome.
"A good dealer is a very important asset." This is exactly what several people (long time sewers) told me when I was looking for a machine. If a dealer for your make machine is not nearby, how will you get it serviced? I bought a used Bernina 153 QE from my local shop quite a few years ago. It was a trade-in. Then recently a friend moved, bought a new to her machine from a friend, then decided she needed to downsize and offered up a Bernina 153 and a Pfaff 7550. I jumped on the Pfaff because I have a local Pfaff dealer too. I love the built-in even feed on the Pfaff but I do miss the knee lift that the Bernina has. Bernina accessories are pretty pricey. As others have said, check out your local dealers and see what they have for sale. Also check craiglist and ebay once you figure out what you want. You can really get some good deals although you won't have the warranty in place most likely. Always, always try out the machine first no matter where you buy it. It has to feel right for you. Good luck. Hope you find your new "love" soon.